Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:45 AM

Ok: I know you probably don't want to hear this but I would remove the border and increase the strip by .25 inch on each side, this would give you your 36.5 inches which would make the blocks divisable by three and multiples of 3. Mamahen: What a shame you want to add a border since the 6.5 inch block would fit perfectly with your current measurement. If you want to keep the 6.5 inch block your going to have to add 3 inches finished on each side, or 3.5 inch strips. This will give you a measurement of 48.5 by 48.5 which will allow you to use a 6 inch finished block. Two sides will have 8 blocks and two sides will have 10 blocks. I hope no one minds by over participation here, I just happen to be on the computer and hoped to help.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:15 AM

Mamahen, I think I would hold off putting on a border until we get the next border ideas. That fabric looks really nice with it though.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:27 AM

Emma, I thought that maybe a pieced block was to much next to add next to my ribbon border and that it might need to be separated. Thanks for the size for strips if I decide to add. I was off by 3/4" in my calculations. I'm just in the planning stage & not going to do anything until the 1st.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:02 PM

Thanks Jaba I think I was over working my brain on the other quilt and was just screwing up right and left. I am taking a break for a couple days and will try again.

Emma , thanks for your input,I for one really appreciate all the help I can get. lol

Mamahen, I think I agree with Emma, I think a pieced block would look great next to your border. I really love the way yours is looking so far.
I really am enjoying this bom, I have been sick the last couple weeks so haven't done much.I still need to catch up on all the posts.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:45 PM

Being sick explains a bunch of things! I've been there plenty of times and you want to do it and try and nothing makes sense and you don't like it anyway. Just let it rest a little linbails, you need to get well first.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:45 PM

I need help from all you experienced people My center is now 20 1/2 X20 1/2. I made the next border out of 3 1/2 X 6 1/2 rectangles and 3 1/2 inch squares. I know I need a strip to get it to work out. But, I have no clue. I appreciate all the help. I have never done one of these before.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	elisabrat1.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	463032  
Old 02-17-2014, 06:21 PM

I see your rectangles but not sure how you are going to do 3 1/2" sqs.?? You need a total of an inch total added all around to make the rectangles work out at 3 1/2"
Old 02-18-2014, 04:07 AM

Sorry, the green on the rectangles are 3 1/2. Thanks Jaba
Old 02-18-2014, 05:11 AM

so she should cut 1.5 inche strips then attach it to center round then add the finished diamonds correct Jan?

oksewnsew: what size was your center before you added that red? if your zig zag is 2.5 inches then you need a center divisable by 2, ifyour blocks are cut 3.5 inches then you need a center divisible by 3. Your for some reason at an even number right now.. easier if you have a .5 on your total so you can allow for divisible numbers that 'fit' your rounds.. or you will end up with spacers on each side of your rounds.. I think a rick rack would be pretty on your quilt so don't give up.. talk with me!! send me a pm if you like and we can work it through together. don't give up!

THE NEXT ROUND CLUE 1: easy there will be a small natural visual line between any pattern and your last row like a strip of color (its not a strip) that is solid all around.. so this might be enough to break things up for you.
Second Clue: Jans round will do the same thing so we are slowing it down a bit to give the eye somewhere to stop for a moment TADA not hard at all!!!

Mine is done, waiting to share with you! I love being slightly ahead. It is like a ahhhh moment for me. I never finish late but I sure do things right up to the very last second often. Why I put that stress on myself I never know..
Old 02-18-2014, 05:45 AM

Elisabrat: Your hint about what's coming sounds just perfect for me. I had thought I might put a plain border between this round and the next, as you said, for a resting place. I don't know why I should be surprised, every round has fit together so perfectly.