Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
We need to see some tiny sewing spaces! >

We need to see some tiny sewing spaces!

We need to see some tiny sewing spaces!

Old 02-19-2014, 04:01 AM

I sew on the dining room table and supplies and stash are in one rolling cart and several bins stacked here and there. I hate that it's spread all over the place but have no other options at this time. It's hard to stay organized.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

CoventryUK your room looks very well organized and very usable. Sometimes we are only limited by our imaginations. Everyone's rooms look very usable. What works for one doesn't always work for others.
I have two large closets with the wire shelves to store my stash, batting, tubs of scraps, etc. I have kitchen cabinets for books, threads. I have base cabinets too with a 90" countertop. I store pictures albums, more books, magazines, clamps etc. in the base cabinets. I totally put everything away before starting a new quilt. I can't stand for it to get very messy.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:52 AM

The Closet is working well for me at this time.
I am able to close the door when I am done and know that the kids and the cats will stay out.
Because I have many projects going at one time it is very nice to be able to leave some things out.

I enjoy seeing everyones else's spaces and it has given me many ideas.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:51 AM

My daughter bought and Armoir(sp?) at a thrift store. Her husband put a table that fold down in it. She opens the cabinet, All her 'stuff' is in the cabinet, thread bindings, etc and the machine comes out of it's cubby hole onto the sewing table. All in one corner of her family room. Another daughter as the same thing in her kitchen with her computer and craft stuff. They are neatniks. My is spread all over. My son just put a shelf on the bottom of my cutting table to hold the bins. It is working great.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:45 AM

We recently moved & downsized. I tried sewing in the living room, but it was smack in the center of everything, so I moved into a corner of our bedroom. We have window seats that are nothing more than wasted floor space, to me, so I placed 5 shelving units in them. My stash & project bins are on them. I have a cutting table against a wall right outside the bedroom. Some things are stored in the computer room & other stuff is in the guest room. I even have quilts stored in giant bins in the garage.

Please pardon the dirty doggie quilt! I usually keep it clean, but I got busy re-organizing. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom Re-do1.JPG
Views:	918
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	464402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reclaimed Living Room.JPG
Views:	913
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	464403  
Old 02-25-2014, 03:55 AM

P.S. Some day I plan on getting blinds in all the windows, but for now, I had some fabric that I wasn't sure what to do with, so I ran a casing up on them & shoved them on tension rods. I felt like we were living in a fish bowl.

An additional note. I no longer "quilt with convicts"!!! When we moved over here to Texas, I quit my job & now I babysit our two dogs. I can sew whenever I please, but I really miss the job & "my guys."

Last edited by QuiltswithConvicts; 02-25-2014 at 03:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:45 AM

Thanks for sharing your space Kathy. You have done a wonderful job.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:43 AM
pw6

I stored all my fabrics and things in clear storage containers in my walk in closet, I could see what I wanted without pulling all of them out.. you would not believe how much I had stored when we moved and I opened them all out..LOL..
I sewed on my kitchen table and even had a hand quilting frame up in the living/dining room.. as I only had the two rooms and a nice large bathroom.. Good luck..
Old 02-28-2014, 05:08 AM

I use a small walk-in closet in an extra bedroom for supplies and have my sewing machine in an alcove. Got a fold down craft table from Handcock Fabrics, that is put in another closet when we need the room for guests.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:50 AM

My girlfriend has 5 sons, 4 still at home, so space is at a premium. She has a free-standing pantry cupboard in the breakfast area. She keeps all her fabric and her sewing machine in there. When she sews, she sets up a tv tray so she doesn't have to put the machine away for meals. No dedicated room for her hobby, but she has made dozens of quilts.