Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you cut selvedges? >

How do you cut selvedges?

How do you cut selvedges?

Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I only save the selvedge with the writing on it. I cut 1/2" from where the selvedge meets the printed fabric. Clear as mud?!?!? I leave 1/2" of the printed fabric attached to the selvedge. There I think that is more clear!
I like this idea it makes it very easy to find the fabric later. I usually cut about an inch out. and save it if I am afraid that I might not have enough. I have had pretty good luck finding older fabrics when needed if I have the name and number.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:09 AM

Love your projects CoventyUK! It is so much fun to use the selvages, I've made several things (quilt, pin cushion/scrap bag holder, tote bags, etc. and enjoyed every minute! One thing I didn't see in your photos are pocket tissue holders, they turn out really cute.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:37 AM

That is the cutest scarf! how original
Old 02-19-2014, 07:59 AM

If I cut the selvedge off right away and have a long piece, they make wonderful Morning Glory strings or tomato support strings. Those selvedges are very strong, but at the end of the season, they can be composted along with the vines if you don't want to go to the trouble of getting the vines off the strings. Just cut them up so they don't get caught in the roto-tiller.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

I usually cut the selvages off after I cut my pieces and I throw them away. I have too much large fabrics to worry about using the selvages.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter View Post
I think quilts made with selvedges are cute, but to me they are a waste of fabric! (Unless that is specifically what you want to make.)

When I cut selvedges off my fabric, I cut right up to the white edge so as to waste as little fabric as possible. If it is a selvedge where the color goes all the way to the edge of the selvedge I cut about 3/8 to 1/2 inch off.

How wide a strip do you cut off your selvedge edge?
As little as possible.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:25 AM
Jim

I save my selvages for someone so I always cut the selvage plus 1/2 inch so the fabric shows as well as the words and color dots

CoventryUK your use of selvages is fantastic
Old 02-19-2014, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
I leave my selvedges on until the very last moment (mainly so I can square up the fabric). Then when I'm cutting my piecing pieces. I trim off the bits of selvedge off. That way I can continue straightening the grain until the last minute.
I cut mine at the edge of the printing (with my luck if I cut it 1 1/2 inches I would end up that much short in my project). I sling them in a clear container and use them for gift wrapping - very cute with brown paper.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK View Post
This is what I make with selvedges!!! I hate waste also!!!

Very cool!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:39 PM

Coventry - love your quilt.

Central Ohio Quilter - I usually cut !/2" - 1" off with my selvage. But it really depends on my pattern - sometimes I need every single bit of the fabric all the way to the selvage to get my pieces.