Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you cut selvedges? >

How do you cut selvedges?

How do you cut selvedges?

Old 02-19-2014, 12:51 PM

As little as possible. I, too, use them in the garden.

I'm not sure about the shrinkage. I used to sew a lot of garments, and I liked having the selvage on long seams, since it wouldn't ravel in the wash. I really never noticed a difference in shrinkage. Since quilting is smaller-scale, perhaps it shows up more?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
As little as possible. I, too, use them in the garden.

I'm not sure about the shrinkage. I used to sew a lot of garments, and I liked having the selvage on long seams, since it wouldn't ravel in the wash. I really never noticed a difference in shrinkage. Since quilting is smaller-scale, perhaps it shows up more?
When sewing clothes, I was taught to leave the selvages on and that part you wouldn't need to seam finish. I've never noticed a shrinkage difference in any garment I made that way.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:25 PM

Sweet...cute idea.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:16 PM

Thank you for all your kind comments!! Just proves one persons trash is someone else's treasure!!! I hope I've inspired a few of you!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:45 PM

I cut my selvages off with about 1/2 inch of the color on them. I save them until I finish the quilt. I have found this helps if I change my mind about how the quilt is going to be put together or the size or make a mistake. This way I know what the fabric is called so I can frantically search for it online. I love the selvage projects that other people make but I know I will never make one. I am currently saving mine to make a bookshelf quilt for my nephew. He is going to graduate next year with his doctorate degree in English Literature. I usually give them to someone in my guild and she loves them.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:33 PM

First time I've seen something made with selvedges. Awesome, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:45 PM

My selvages are all different lengths and widths. I figure the various sizes will be like a string type quilt if I ever collect enough to do a project. Right now I am liking them in a vintage glass jar -- looks colorful.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
When sewing clothes, I was taught to leave the selvages on and that part you wouldn't need to seam finish. I've never noticed a shrinkage difference in any garment I made that way.
We were told to cut the selvedge off, but of course, I wouldn't do that. We wore full circle skirts at that time, and the side seams were the ones that got the selvedge in them. After the dress was constructed, we needed to hang it on a hanger for a few days for the bias areas to relax. So in a few days we had to stand in the dress and have someone else mark the hem at the shortest spot, and pin all around at that length. The selvedge side seams were always the shortest spot, so the dress got shorter. Later I learned to add an inch or two to the end of that side seam when I cut them out.

In those days, the selvedges definitely shrunk more than the rest of the fabric. I still notice it when I get a long piece of fabric wet, but it is not as bad as it used to be.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:23 AM
Power Poster

Cool selvedge items, but like some others, I cut mine as I go - and go really close to the edge....so no useful bits.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:03 AM

I save selvages from designer fabrics such as Marimekko, Kaffe Fassett etc. with writing on them. I cut with some additional fabric to get approximately 1- 1 1/4 inch strips. I use these in pineapple and log cabin blocks, 4-6 inches in size, just a strip here, another there random placement.