Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 02-19-2014, 05:44 PM

I happen to think that those friendship stars look great on it.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:13 PM

I do too, the stars and then come back with your lighter lavender or white for the binding, perfect IMO. Nice job, your quilt looks great no matter what you decide.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by MamaHen View Post
I happen to think that those friendship stars look great on it.
Originally Posted by jaba View Post
I do too, the stars and then come back with your lighter lavender or white for the binding, perfect IMO. Nice job, your quilt looks great no matter what you decide.
Would you do the snowball corners with that light fabric. It has the purple and pink in it. I just cut the 2.5" squares and only used ones with purple. It has a lot of pink! So, snowball corners then 6" strips or no snowballing? This is hard for me lol.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 PM

I am just now reading daily emails, kinda like the ol' butcher today, "got a little behind in my work"...lol I'll measure in morning..Thanks

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
so she should cut 1.5 inche strips then attach it to center round then add the finished diamonds correct Jan?

oksewnsew: what size was your center before you added that red? if your zig zag is 2.5 inches then you need a center divisable by 2, ifyour blocks are cut 3.5 inches then you need a center divisible by 3. Your for some reason at an even number right now.. easier if you have a .5 on your total so you can allow for divisible numbers that 'fit' your rounds.. or you will end up with spacers on each side of your rounds.. I think a rick rack would be pretty on your quilt so don't give up.. talk with me!! send me a pm if you like and we can work it through together. don't give up!

THE NEXT ROUND CLUE 1: easy there will be a small natural visual line between any pattern and your last row like a strip of color (its not a strip) that is solid all around.. so this might be enough to break things up for you.
Second Clue: Jans round will do the same thing so we are slowing it down a bit to give the eye somewhere to stop for a moment TADA not hard at all!!!

Mine is done, waiting to share with you! I love being slightly ahead. It is like a ahhhh moment for me. I never finish late but I sure do things right up to the very last second often. Why I put that stress on myself I never know..
Old 02-20-2014, 04:39 AM

SheriR - I love that entwined border !! I may try to use it on this quilt Ive been working which has been giving me fits…I just don't know where to go from here. It will be for my niece who got married last year and this is what they want lol !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-20.JPG
Views:	814
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	463450  
Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Elisabrat: I am having problems with red fabric too: I still really like this project, I am not ready to give up yet. I have heard a lot about retayne and also the use of salt and/or vinegar. Time to experiment. If anyone has any experience I would appreciate your input. Jenniky: I don't know whether this will work, but it has for me in the past. Measure across the center, then cut your border exactly that size. Pin the ends to each side and work any fullness into the distance between. This does not cause ballooning but it brings the effects of bias stretching back into line. Even if you choose to complete your project and start a new one, this method will make your wall hanging lie flat.
Emma and MamaHen

I was pretty sure I measured across center for my borders. But will try another boarder around doing as you suggest and see if it gets any better. Thanks for helping me try to save this project.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by sustraley View Post
I need help from all you experienced people My center is now 20 1/2 X20 1/2. I made the next border out of 3 1/2 X 6 1/2 rectangles and 3 1/2 inch squares. I know I need a strip to get it to work out. But, I have no clue. I appreciate all the help. I have never done one of these before.
I like how those two center blocks pop out in 3D.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:32 AM

Ladies, I'm needing some help before I get too far behind. Here is mine after I added another border to increase size. It's now 26 1/2" square ( or there about- lol).
I think the stars would look nice but how large to I need to make them? Thanks you, Elisabrat & jaba for doing this & doing all the math.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	463614  
Old 02-21-2014, 06:42 AM

MiMi: The friendship star is basically a nine patch, so the easiest method is to make it divisible by multiples of 3. You could either go with 27.5 or 30.5. I would go with the 30.5 because then you can easily make a 3.5 or a 6.5 inch block, plus the fame strip is easy to add. The strip for the 27.5 should be 1 inch and the 30.5 should be 2.5.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:53 AM

Emma, your so quick & helpful, wish I could figure that out as quick. Math was never my strong subject.