Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 02-25-2014, 06:49 AM

Quilter 65 - way to go. All the fuss and bother sure seems worth it. You ended up with the perfect border.
Pam H - that's looking great. I think I just may have to incorporate that border style into a future project.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:38 AM

Quilter65 and PamH, those both turned out so great. And I agree with Emma that it is fun to hear how a project evolves. I know a lot of it is instinct and experience but hearing about it helps. It must be difficult, Elizabrat and Jaba, to select patterns that will work with so many of the patterns that went before. Guess that is why you are giving us such a selection.

Rodney, you crack me up. Clown puke....of course it would be multi-colored!

I'm sort of stuck. I finished the friendship stars for the second round but somehow the scale isn't right and I'm waiting for the next round. Maybe it will fit better in between. Or maybe I'll go back and use another one from before and save the friendship stars for later.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:01 AM

So glad both of you stuck with it and kept trying different colors and layouts. They look great and you should be very proud of yourselves. Job well done ladies!!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:03 AM

Can you show us a pic whitepine??
Old 02-25-2014, 09:13 AM

Don't the stars seem too big next to the squares? If I put them next I'll have to do a little creative spacing. Otherwise, I'll need to add a 2" strip to make them fit. I was trying to add a little extra color to the blue/brown and tried a red strip. I could also wait and use the stars for another round and perhaps use the zigzag here. That's a 4" block instead of a 6". Also not liking the cream next to the white. Is it too late to start over?? [ATTACH=CONFIG]464441[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1170939.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	464441  

Last edited by whitepine; 02-25-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:27 AM

Have you tried a border using the plain red and blue like the one around your middle star for the 2" strip that you need??
Old 02-25-2014, 11:50 AM

I think I would save the stars for a later round so that the cream is not next to the white.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:39 PM

Here is mine, as much as I could do until my fabric arrives. Thanks for all the help, I really do appreciate it< and think I may be learning a thing or two .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-29.JPG
Views:	1123
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	464490  

Last edited by linbails; 02-25-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:38 PM

Thank you for the encouraging words. Yes, Brat, it should have been a simple round, but I like to make things hard, I guess. It seems like a good idea until I start. I am not sure about the "creative process", rather trial and error. MH, I accidentally stumbled onto making the block this way when I put one together and was not paying attention. Then I thought, hmmmm, really like this. So it was a happy accident. I just couldn't get those HST to look anything but muddy until I used the lighter color, which I hadn't planned on at all. I was striving for balance. Now I have a new problem. The quilt is 39.5 inches square (seam included) so now have to figure out how to make a new round work out. Am anxious to see the ideas. Do you think you ever can get too many separating sashes without it looking funny? Am curious about that. I sure wished I had used a separating strip on one of the quilts I finished for my grandson, but it is quilted and bound and am not touching that again.

Linballs, I think those stars look really good. Their four points echo the darker four points in the center. I agree Whitepine that the stars are maybe overwhelming, but after reading all my trial and errors, not sure you should listen to me. I sure do like your center.

You ladies/gentlemen amaze and delight me with your pictures and comments. Brat, hope you are mending.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:33 PM

So fun seeing what all you come up with from just what Jan and Brat give you. Quilter 65..your trial and error turned out fabulous but each one is so cool to see evolve! It is fun just watching from the sidelines and I am leaning too. FYI..I am beginning the second side of my cat quilt...some days I want to yell at myself..."What was I thinking!"