Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Flooring in sewing room >

Flooring in sewing room

Flooring in sewing room

Old 02-25-2014, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

We got rid of all carpeting about 5 or 6 years ago and installed hardwood floors everywhere but bathroom, kitchen and utility rooms. My sewing room is a former bedroom, hardwood floor there also. I have to carpet rugs in bedroom, never trip on them and a carpet runner along the base cabinets in sewing room. Anything but carpet is best for my sewing room. Easy to vacuum or dustmop it.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 AM

I have wide plank wood laminate flooring in my quilt room -- it looks great and is easy to keep up. I have an area rug underneath my table where I quilt simply because its warm, and with a very short pile its easy to vacuum. I have no wall to wall carpeting anywhere in my house. We took all that out when we closed on the house -- it was 70's shag carpeting and absolutely gross! Most of the house is 18" tile (what a job to put THAT in but love how easy it is to care for), which is in the 'main' areas, the family room, kitchen, utility room, bathrooms and all the hallways. We have the wood laminate in living room, dining room, and all 3 bedrooms.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
My sewing room has hardwood floors and I have an area rug in the center of the room under my cutting table. Makes standing more comfortable. We installed vinyl plank flooring in our DR in the last year or so and I must say, I love it. Easy to clean, lifetime warranty, waterproof, etc. In fact, DH and I were just talking last night about possibly putting this in the BR with some area rugs vs replacing the wall to wall carpet. Think we're going with the carpet in there as he's a bit concerned about trip hazard with the area rugs when he gets up for fire/squad calls in the middle of the night.
We just had this type of flooring installed in our spare room in the condo, yesterday! We went with Allure from Home Depot, one step up from the standard. We picked vintage maple which has a driftwood look. The installer was very complimentary both on the product and the color. Of course, it hasn't stood the test of time yet. This room will primarily be my sewing room once we start the snowbird thing. I didn't want carpet with pins and needles either.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

I have never liked carpet in a workroom, studio, craft room. Too hard to clean up. When I drop pins and can't find them, I have a metal yardstick that I have a magnet on the end and do a sweep of the floor to catch pins. You can use a rubber band on the end of a yardstick and do a sweep or when you sweep with a dust mop or broom you can take a magnet to the pile and pull up any pins also. It'll work on carpet as long as the pins aren't embedded down between the threads.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:42 AM

I would KILL for something other than carpet in my sewing room. However, seeing that it's a bedroom upstairs and we might want to move someday, I guess I'll just have to keep having my son fix the vacuum cleaner after I vacuum in there!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:55 AM
pw6

me too but I have huge area rugs down on my garage floor and use a magnet to pick up pins and sweep first..
Old 02-25-2014, 12:33 PM

We put a cork floor down in my sewing room. It's a laminate but it's layered/designed in a way that it's a bit softer than a wood floor. It actually looks like slate tiles, not your expected look of cork. I really like it. Sweeps up well.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

I used Lure vinyl flooring...It looks like wood, is easy to put down and comes with a 25 year guarantee...I love it...
Old 02-25-2014, 02:42 PM

I think it's a great idea. So much better than carpet where both threads and pins can hide.
I have a thick yoga mat by my cutting table - so much better for feet, legs and back than the hard floor. I noticed the difference as soon as I got it. I'm going to put another by my ironing board.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:41 PM

I agree with fireworkslover. I really like the cork flooring we have in my sewing room and our kitchen. It's warm and cushy to stand on and keeping it clean is a breeze.