Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions please on quilt group dues. >

Opinions please on quilt group dues.

Opinions please on quilt group dues.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
The guilds I belong to charge $20, $25, and $30 per year. Each also has events (quilt shows, fabric sales, etc.) to raise additional money, because the dues do not cover the expenses.
$48.00 a month is EXCESSIVE, even So California standards. Never heard that large of an amount. I would pass and use it for quilting supplies !!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:55 PM

If the dues are that much, you must be getting some really high quality speakers every month!
Old 02-28-2014, 04:09 AM

The guild I belong to has about 40 members that attend twice a month in a room in the library. We donate $100 a year to use the room and have met there for the last 25 years. We also make donations to charitable causes throughout the year and donate quilts to various places. The guild provides the batting for the quilts. The dues are $15/year. We don't sew at guild but rather share and learn from speakers and programs. Workshops are extra. The last one was $10. We have hand quilters, machine quilters, traditional, modern, you name it, at all skill levels. When I have invited friends to attend their first response is they are not a good enough quilter for a guild. I tell them how wrong they are that this guild lives up to their name which has "friendship" in it. It is about friendship and learning, not about judging one's skill.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:06 AM

My guild charges 12 dollars a year. We have a quilt raffle each year for fund raising. We do a lot of community service quilts. Do the math. Every quilt we make, with the exception of "American Hero" quilts, we use our own materials. If a member is generous, she could donate a lot of fabric and supplies in a year's time; much more then 12 dollars a week. I would be curious to know where the money goes. If they can't tell you, it might be time to look at another group.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
The guild I was going to join charged a fee each time you went til you became a member. Then it was
$25.00 a year. Not so bad. 20 minute drive not bad. Every time you came to the meeting you were to bring a fat quarter and still not so bad. Then after the first meeting, I thought ok I'll join seemed like some nice people. When I went to signup for the membership I was turned down. One gal didn't like any of my work or religious beliefs and political inuendos. What does that have to do with quilting? I wanted to focus on quilts. Well they got $10.00 and a very large piece of my mind. The thing was they invited me!
WOW, I would say you are the lucky one. Who would want to belong to a group like that anyway. Our dues are $30.00 per year. There is no other fee unless you choose to get involved, nice bunch of people. Just be blessed you aren't a part of that group
Old 02-28-2014, 05:23 AM

There is nothing wrong with politely asking why the dues are so high. Our guild meets monthly and our dues are $15 a year. Everyone is to participate in some kind of fundraiser, usually a quilt show and boutique to help cover the cost of the meeting room and any outside speaker/programs. Simple refreshments are provided by volunteers, such as popcorn, brownies, cookies and a drink. There is also a small charity quilt group that meets (free) at the local quilt shop and makes quilts for charity/disasters/the NICU, etc. They bring their own scraps and fabrics, any donated quilt blocks or quilt tops and simply sew and chat. Ask around if the dues are truly that high and you may find a small group you can join just for fun and learning.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:28 AM

I am so fortunate to belong to a group that meets every week in the fellowship hall of my church. We pass the "kitty" every week and suggest $1.00/weekly. Some may put in more, others may not be able to contribute. Our two facilitators are what I would consider master quilters and they are always ready to teach and assist us in learning techniques of improving our quilting. Some who don't quilt and have no desire to learn are involved in tying charity quilts, learning or teaching knitting, crocheting or some other craft and a few who just come for the fellowship and work on a personal project. We do various things during the year to raise money for the charity projects we support. We contribute several hundred dollars a year to the church for printing, kitchen supplies, etc. No requirements to join and we're up to more than 40 members. Our members come from all over the county and beyond, some drive as far as 26 miles one way to attend. They are all like my sisters and I don't know and don't care what their political beliefs are.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:06 AM

Our quilt club has no dues; our dues are work at the quilt show, make crafts and food for sale, and do some charity quilting for a different group each year. We make enough at the show (free will offering and food and craft sales) to take the club out for a nice dinner for Christmas, pay for the hall, once in a while for a guest teacher, and gifts for "shadows".
We meet in an old school; pay $100 a year for that. Do some classes at the local library in their "Public Learning Center"; free as long as we don't charge for members to come. (Guests pay a small fee for these classes.)
Members are all levels. From me up to well known fabric artists.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:12 AM

Well I don't know aboout anyone else but it seems to me someone is making money off of this. Usually the dues are one amount for the year. Ours is $20 and I know of another close group too they charge $35 but you get 10 raffle tickets with that amount. I wouldn't pay that amount and I might even question what all are they charging that amount for when you found out what other guilds charge.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
The guilds I belong to charge $20, $25, and $30 per year. Each also has events (quilt shows, fabric sales, etc.) to raise additional money, because the dues do not cover the expenses.
Please explain the fabric sale portion of fund raising for your guild....looking for additional ways to generate income for the one I belong too. Thanks

Last edited by Geri B; 02-28-2014 at 06:29 AM.