Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions please on quilt group dues. >

Opinions please on quilt group dues.

Opinions please on quilt group dues.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
There's a local store that has a friday nite quilt group - bring your projects, etc. she charges something like $20 to come. And there's nothing in return. No discount on fabric, no food, nothing. I am grateful that the church i quilt at is free - it's about the fun, and fellowship. Once a month we do a carry-in lunch and then go back upstairs and quilt some more.
Our LQS has a finish it Friday - for $40 (dinner and 5 hours time/support by an instructor of needed). Way too rich for my blood - though I do enjoy taking other classes there when I can.

Our guild is $30/year.

I can't imagine paying $12/week to attend a guild or bee meeting.

Cheers, K
Old 02-28-2014, 08:47 AM

My group doesn't have dues. If we have something extra, fabric, thread, batting, etc., we donate it to the group. We share fabrics for non-charity quilts if we have something someone else needs. We use the entire downstairs of a building on the grounds of a local church without charge. We just make sure everything is clean and neat when we leave. We are allowed to store materials including several sewing machines that have been donated in the building. I think that is high.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 AM

I like onebyone's answer.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:11 AM

Tessagin...The guild may have done you a favor by not accepting you...that group does not sound like a fun or worthwhile group to give any of your time to. Sorry, tho, for them being so rude.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

My DH's hunting camp fee is $1500 a year and he goes maybe two weeks out of the year. Most of his clubs cost at least $500 a year in dues. Golfing is at least $50 a game or more. How much is your kids activities? Cheer, soccer, band, dirt bike, baseball? So why do guild members think any dues over $50 a year is too much? I belong to every guild within a couple hours driving from me. I don't go to the all the meetings but when a great workshop is offered I am a member and get an assured spot at member cost.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:27 AM

Our guild charges $35. per year, and that includes paying for our meeting space, international speakers 6-7 times a year, for which our guild pays for airfare, hotels, etc. We also make hundreds of quilts to donate for charity and have a huge library to borrow from. We have 4 raffles a year to help with expenses. I think it is all well worth it. Our budget and monies are carefully monitored.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:29 AM

The guilds I have belonged to charge $12.00 a year.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:33 AM

The quilt group that I belong to meets once a month and we pay dues of $12 a year. This used to buy batting for our firebox quilts. We meet at the local firestation during the winter months and at the local grange during the summer.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:51 AM

Start your own group
Old 02-28-2014, 10:29 AM

I would check further. Our guild's fee is 25.00 yearly. But sadly, it has increased the fee for a few members who do not have an email address for which to receive their newsletter. We also have promotions, raffles, block exchanges , show and tell. And fat quarter exchange. Members take turns providing refreshments. One a year a small donation is made to the church where we meet. In the fall, fabric is bought in by members and we have a sew-in. The quilts made are for charity. Although a member can make a charity quilt any time. So, yes, check into the fee, or make a suggestion of a flat yearly fee. Maybe it's time for some changes.