Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Do you can >

Do you can

Do you can

Old 03-03-2008, 04:22 PM

I make plum jelly, dd has a tree. Know what you mean about the weather, Steve. Most of the time I just freeze the juice til its cooler.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:36 PM

marieg, If I have blackberries or raspberries they most times end up in pies. My boys love pies,and I by far would rather made a pie than cookies
Steve when it gets to hot here I use one of those propane stoves for outside. Keeps the heat out of the house and the porch is right off of the kitchen so I am not running far to watch the canner. We see that 100 degree stuff,too!
Old 03-04-2008, 03:29 AM

Just everything that will hold still long enough for me to get it into a jar! :D
I can everything from fruits to meats...we have saved a lot of money that way too!

She
Old 03-04-2008, 04:39 AM

I freeze apples. I steam them down, put them in plastic bags, set these in aluminum pie pans, till frozen.....that way you can make a quick pie. You can use milk cartons to shape the ones for other stuff. Sugar and spice now or later
Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 AM

Here is a recipe that I use with peaches, blueberries,amd Strawberries.
2 cups of fruit , 1 cup of water, 1 cup of suger, 3 level T. of clear jell 1 box of jello to match flavor of fruit.
lighty suger sliced fruit cook clear jell with water and suger. add jello to clear jell while hot. This is a thick mix and will thin out when fruit is added. Cool clear-jell mix.add fruit then top with cool whip
Note: pie crust is prebaked. I like to make pie crust ahead of time,stick them in the freezer. A lovely summer pie... no oven time :)
Old 03-04-2008, 06:40 AM

Ruth, that is a GREAT idea. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:32 PM

julie, we can "apple pie filling in a jar" as soon as I find the recipe I'll post it for you. We put it on all kinds of things, warmed up on pancakes is great. Same on vanilla ice cream. I also make a "poor man's apple cake" that I learned from my grandma its a wonderful easy, quick and inexpensive treat. Of course we use some of it for actual apple pies too LOL. Last year, Mom and I canned over 100 quarts of it.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:43 PM

You can always build a fire outside and can over it if you're not pressure canning. That's the only way my Aunt used to can.
I am thinking of using the stove in the Travel Trailer to keep the extra heat out of the house.
Or you could use the side burner on your BBQ grill if it has one. ............we used to live in a trailer with a window unit AC that didn't work the greatest....when I canned, it would get well over the one hundred degree mark INSIDE!
Those nice jars of tomatoes and salsa and corn, etc. sure look good in the winter! It's great to know what is really going into your food and to be able to control the salt. :D
Old 03-05-2008, 03:13 PM

Thanks Lisa,
I look forward to the recipe.
Julie
Old 03-05-2008, 04:00 PM

Miranda, we use to use a coleman stove. Worked really well, all the heat stayed outside, and it was cheaper on the gas bill by not using the stove inside.