Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Mystery quilt train ride #6 - welcome aboard >

Mystery quilt train ride #6 - welcome aboard

Mystery quilt train ride #6 - welcome aboard

Old 03-02-2014, 10:19 AM

Thank you Judy for the pleasant train ride and everyone else for their great company as we traveled. Hoping to finish up my topper by the end of this week. Will be finishing mine a bit differently. Will post picture when it is quilt and bound.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:36 AM

I didn't realize all the CA. we have on this ride. Of course it would not be nice to brag about our weather when others are being buried in snow. But I do love CA weather. I just hate the asphalt jungle of cars and cars and cars. LOL. I do love the country atmosphere. I still can't decide on my Color B. I think I am going to go with a dark blue. But it will have to wait until later in the week as I am getting ready to go on a Shop Hop in San Diego County. Quilt in A Day........Here I come with my friends.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:39 AM

Marion...absolutely love this...any big girl would love it too! Waiting to see how you finish it for the bed. I finished my girl donation yesterday...just a simple finish. Now to finish the boy donation...finishing the way for one of the medallions. Haven't figured out what I want to do for finishing the larger batik scrap one...off to work on the boy quilt..........
Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 AM

I cut-n-pasted all the clues so when my sis moves back here we can do it together. And between both of us we have lots of scraps
Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 AM

[QUOTE=urgodschild2;6605152]I didn't realize all the CA. we have on this ride. Of course it would not be nice to brag about our weather when others are being buried in snow. But I do love CA weather. I just hate the asphalt jungle of cars and cars and cars. LOL.
Another southern CA girl here...totally agree about the weather & the concrete jungle! So, after 25+ years of military life, retired & settled here in FL. Love the weather here, the country atmosphere, NOT the bugs...etc. Then we got that freeze & ice...NOT FUN! Blood is so thin from even 20+ years here. Glad that doesn't happen very often! I feel bad for all you that go through that stuff year after year!
Old 03-02-2014, 11:51 AM

Hello everyone from a chillyScotland. This post will be a series of firsts for me - first post on the board, first mystery quilt, first train ride. I've had a great time doing my first official 'scrappy' quilt!
Here's hoping I'll be able to upload my pictures first time too

However this is not the first time I've been unable to follow pattern instructions! (With apologies to Judy for adapting her great pattern.)

I had such a fun time trying to predict what the twist would be for the final clue. I thought it might be a 'slice and dice' - sort of turning the topper into a 9-patch aimed at rotating the patches to re-distribute the dominant fabric throughout the top. In the end this is what I did, just for fun.

I did fail to take into account that I would lose some of my points into the new seams, but I don't think they're too obvious .

Now to try the uploads ...

before:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]465352[/ATTACH]

sliced & diced
[ATTACH=CONFIG]465353[/ATTACH]

rejoined
[ATTACH=CONFIG]465351[/ATTACH]

finished
[ATTACH=CONFIG]465354[/ATTACH]

I'm a childminder, and one of my charges has already claimed this as his own, cos it's got rabbits on it!!

Thanks again Judy, and I'll definitely be along for the next ride too....

Kate
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sliced.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	465351   Click image for larger version

Name:	clue 3a.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	465352   Click image for larger version

Name:	clue 4a.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	465353   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	465354  
Old 03-02-2014, 11:59 AM

Kate: Really like what you did with the border. The way you played with the positive and negative spaces really blended the borders to the whole thing. I love Judy's design, but because this is a full size bed quilt, I think I will go with the straight borders or maybe not can't deside.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:18 PM

Siodach just love the way you have worked the pattern. Just lovely. I am in a very, very wet South of England at the moment, will swap weather if you like?!?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by sarahelloyd View Post
Siodach just love the way you have worked the pattern. Just lovely. I am in a very, very wet South of England at the moment, will swap weather if you like?!?
No, you're fine, I'll keep our spring-like sunshine rather than all your rain!! I've never seen flooding reports like the ones recently :-(

Thank you for your compliments tho

Cheers, K
Old 03-02-2014, 01:20 PM

Fabulous! I just love what you did with the mystery. I'm not a 'cookie-cutter' instruction follower either. I've read somewhere on this board that instructions are more for guidance and inspiration.

Great job!

Jane