Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Batting >
  • Batting

• Batting

Old 03-04-2014, 06:41 AM

I use a lot of Warm & Natural and like it a lot. My favorite is the bamboo blend they sell at Hancocks- will watch batting sales like a hawk and buy as much as I can when the price is good. I don't know what the brand is, but it has such a nice drape. I also use the Hobbs 80/20 - like that I can get that in black - and the Hobbs Wool - Also like both of them, but have to keep in mind the minimal quilting distance. I think of the wool as a luxury batting and only use it on special quilts. I see that Connecting Threads now has a bamboo blend, so as soon as they have a batting sale I will be buying that one for sure. I don't use 100% poly batting because it's like nails on a chalkboard for me - can't stand to touch it.
    Old 03-04-2014, 06:42 AM

I prefer the higher loft of polyester battings. I use cotton batting for some quilts. I don't have a specific brand preference. I thought the iron-on batting was interesting, and tried to by it, but JoAnn sent me small pillow forms instead. I thought about trying the bamboo batting, but after reading about the processing of the bamboo batting and all the chemicals used and waste products generated, I decided against using it.
    Old 03-04-2014, 09:59 AM

Thank to you all for this information . I have a better understanding
    on the deferent battings now.
    Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    What about silk battings?
    Pros and cons?
    When should they be used?
    Do they provide warmth? loft?
    Can you spray baste it, for quilting on a DSM?

Likewise is wool, one that can be spray basted for a DSM?
    100% silk batting is very luxurious. I took a class from Roxanne McElroy years ago, and it was her favorite batting for hand quilting. She passed a quilt around that was made with cotton fabric in combination with silk batting, and it was wonderfully light and soft. It washes up just fine too. At that time silk batting was extremely expensive (could cost $10+ for a queen size) so very few quilters used it. I'm not sure how the current blends on the market compare; I would definitely look for one with a high percentage of silk. Silk battings are the batting-of-choice for clothing because it is very light in weight and can be very thin.

I would imagine both silk and wool battings can be spray basted. Can't think of any reason why they couldn't, as they are both washable.
    Old 03-04-2014, 10:35 AM

The batting I keep as the most versatile is Warm and Natural or Warm and White. .. the reason is that it takes pre-shrinking better than any other I have found. So often I use the trimmings from quilts for table runners.. and do not want any crinkling, so pre- shrinking is a must. I do like Hobbs 80/20 but can not find it at my JoAnns.
    Old 03-04-2014, 10:41 AM

Is dream orient a warm batting. I am thinking of using it for my lovers knot
    Old 03-04-2014, 10:49 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Any wool batting is my favorite. I'm saying that in the viewpoint of warmth and loft. A cotton quilt never keeps me warm, but give me a wool batting quilt and that's all I need!! I love the loft with wool batting. The quilt looks full, not flat and lifeless. It gives it body and warmth all in one. Try wool once and you'll be hooked. But not for wall hangings or table toppers. Only for quilts. It's a real dream!
    Old 03-04-2014, 11:32 AM
    Power Poster

I use Hobbs Wool or Tuscany Silk batting for my bed size quilts. I use Hobbs 80/20 batting for utility quilts, kids quilts and donation quilts. I recently bought a bolt of Pellon cotton/poly batting at a great price. I haven't used it yet There are lots of brands of batting but I stick with one brand so I don't have to wonder how the batting will work.
    Old 03-04-2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    Is dream orient a warm batting. I am thinking of using it for my lovers knot
    DD has a quilt I made her on her bed and we live in Scotland, albeit with central heating (and a husband to keep her warm, lol).