Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Mystery quilt train ride #6 - welcome aboard >

Mystery quilt train ride #6 - welcome aboard

Mystery quilt train ride #6 - welcome aboard

Old 03-05-2014, 06:55 AM

so many choices! love your piano keys lol seems like I am stuck on the whole piano key idea now that I have used a few of them.. but differently myself. I might try that one however, gulp, accurate sewing is a must with that one to be sure. It really makes your blocks stand out.

To the beautiful quilt with the 'shift' in design.. wow what a great idea. I love seeing how people take one design and turn it completely on its heals. Bravo!! this was a fun way to be sure to use up scraps. Finally I feel like I have some control over my stacks again.. phew. they are only a foot high each now.. x 12 stacks lol maybe I don't have control yet .. just lowering the stacks and redistributing them isn't such a good plan???
Old 03-05-2014, 07:17 AM

Wow, Irish, thank you so much for posting this blog! I'm never going to have to try and figure it out again in my poor little brain.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:48 AM

thanks, Irishrose, exactly what I was looking for. I also noticed all those diagonal lines on my cutting mat and am going to play around with those. I'll bet they have a purpose.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 AM

Whitepine: Kind of discovered the use of angles recently myself when it dawned on me that is what so many of the specialized rulers do. They merely give you the 60, 45, 90 degree angles in a ruler. My problem is trying to figure out which degree I want.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:11 AM

rulers are usually accurate but cutting mats, not so much (even all four sides can vary) there have been cases where rulers were not accurate also, and even after the errors were noticed the incorrectly printed rulers showed up for sale at discount type stores.....
anything new that you buy check for accuracy!
Sad but true, not sure if bureau of weights and measures even exists anymore.
Will not even mention that some cloth measuring tapes can..... s t r e t c h.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:11 PM

I use my cutting board up side down. IMO, the lines are not accurate enough and are a distraction with the lines on my rulers. My ADD brain picks up to much information so having a plain cutting board helps me a lot.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:12 PM

Judy... I made an additional scrappy border... how do I decide how big my rectangles need to be.... as I have more width and length than you did... does that make sense?

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
Ok, now I have to admit I made a mistake. When designing the quilt I had estimated that it would be 42” Well, my sample turned out to be 44” which means I will need to put a scrap of fabric in one of the pointy spots in the width of the backing where the topper was too wide for 42” fabric. If you don’t want to do that, you can eliminate the sashing that goes all around, but I really think sashing is a nice design element to the topper. The seam won’t really show or be bothersome.

So, if the 44” doesn’t bother you, forge ahead!

Take the remaining fabric A and cut into 4 pieces, 1-1/2” wide. Add this sashing to each of the 4 sides of your topper, first by putting two pieces on opposite sides, trim as needed and press. Add remaining sashing pieces to the other side. Press. Trim excess.

Cut fabric B into two 4” wide WOF. Cut into 4 pieces each 18-3/4 long. Keeping the two 4” x 18-3/4” pieces together, mark a dot 5/8” up from the corner on the short side, on two opposite sides, then place your long ruler so it intersects these dots, and cut as shown.

TYPO ALERT: A typo in the photo shows I said to put a mark ¼” down from the edge. This is wrong, it is to be 5/8” down. I was unable to correct my original wording so added a blurb at the bottom of the photo. New to figuring out how to add words to the photos.

Sew these two pieces as shown. Make 4 of these long pointy pieces as shown in the picture and sew to each side and Voila!!! You’re done!

Make a sandwich with your choice of batting – FYI: I prefer Warm and Natural for this project, it lays nice and flat. Now, I have no idea how to do the math to get the binding angle correct, so I didn’t use binding. I laid the batting on the table and put the backing right side up. Lay topper on the backing, right sides together. You will need to trim this so I would pin well but keep the pins a ways from the edge so they don’t interfere with your ruler and cutter Reposition pins closer to the edge and pin well – don’t forget the edges are on the bias. Sew a 3/8” seam leaving about a 12” opening. Trim corners to eliminate bulk after turning. Poke out corners. Turn right side out and hand sew the opening. Press so that the seam rolls just slightly towards the back, so you don’t see the backing if there is a big color difference between the outer border and the backing. Place topper under your machine with the topper facing up and top stitch ¼” from edge. Re-pin so topper is nice and flat. Quilt as desired. I will use a serpentine stitch to hold it all together. Since I used Warm and Natural, I can quilt it up to 10” apart and will quilt down the middle of the sashing strips.

So once again we come again to the end of a journey on the Mystery Quilt Train. I hope you have enjoyed the trip as much as I have. I can’t promise a date for the next but will start trying to think of a new pattern soon. Maybe in the summer …… If it is hot, we can get the train to head north, and visit the Yukon. So get your passports in order!
Old 03-05-2014, 04:18 PM

sorry can't picture what you have, post a picture and maybe I can help.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:01 PM
RJ

My friend and I really liked the piano border======so that is what we did.........we finished our toppers today......next will be quilting and binding........We really enjoyed this trip----and we didn't gain a pound from all the goodies that were on the train with us.........looking forward to the next trip...and LOVE all the different looks with different fabrics....there was one with blue sashing and setting triangles........the colors looked like they were floating!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cindys topper.JPG
Views:	895
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	465899   Click image for larger version

Name:	RJ's topper.JPG
Views:	915
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	465900  
Old 03-05-2014, 08:30 PM

I have mine ready to back and bind. I have another coordinating fabric that matches the green in the border for the backing. I am very pleased with this ride..I've done all the rides each time, and I do believe this is my favorite. I've already got some pcs cut to do another one. I did a different border (sorry Judy), I want to hang this over my bed - and have wanted to do a scalloped border for some time. This was perfect for it. Hope ya'all like it. Looking forward to next time - thanks Judy..

Jean

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465903[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystery Train #6 ;o).jpg
Views:	379
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	465903