Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I must have crossed a line . . . >

I must have crossed a line . . .

I must have crossed a line . . .

Old 03-04-2014, 04:05 PM

The temps here aren't as extreme as the Dakotas. What gets you here is the constant damp. The summers are ok but the other 10 months tend to be on the wet and grey side of things. As long as things are kept dry, you're good. If it's an unheated building like my shop you do want a vapor barrier under it.
Rodney
Old 03-05-2014, 06:28 AM

My husband wasn't too pleased with me about this. He suggested that if I really wanted more room, we should sell the house and buy a different one.

He has a really good point with that, however due to our particular location, circumstances and long term plans, selling the house would equal me finding a job in a southern state - and that is not in the current plans. He reminded me that we had decided to wait until my Mom is gone, and then think about moving.

One my Mom is gone, we really don't have a good reason other than my Job to stay in the frozen north. I hate feeling like I can't do stuff I'd like to do because it does not make sense to do it where we currently live, but it also does not make sense to move. I think that is what keeps a lot of people from ever perusing their dreams. Though I think my husband uses this more to talk me out of doing something he does not want to do LOL!!

I'm more the type - just do it because the "right time" may never happen.

However, he did agree that the possiblity of a heated shed isn't quite out the window. The caveat is that I'd need it for my "office" and I don't know if that is what I'd want to do. I work from home three days a week, so putting in an "office" would not be a bad idea, and can be justified if it makes it easier for me to get my work done.

I really don't wnat to rehome any machines, in fact I've found a few more I'd love to get!
Old 03-05-2014, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
google "Tiny Houses" you' ll be fighting with DH who gets to use it!!
seriously, check these out, small enough to get around code, some are dang cute. Multi-purpose as a guest house, move it to a vacation spot or?
http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/blogs/tumbleweed
http://tinyhousetalk.com/
Old 03-05-2014, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

You could get around the code by 'remodeling' a building you want to tear down. We did that - we had a porch that was ready to cave in. We shored it up from the inside then let it set a while, then we took off the outside and put on a new roof... LOL Nobody knows it is a new structure - it's just a remodel....
Old 03-05-2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
The majority of machines were in the home, I would imagine and kept out of the extremes . And those that weren't, are likely the terrible looking machines some of us have had the ,Um, pleasure to resussitate.
You must have never lived where there is humidity. Dankness and mugginess lives in every corner of the home. Somehow these sweet vintage ladies and gents were able to weather the elements of homes prior to AC.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

I have seen a few that the weather beat into lots of rust and compromised the shellac - they are ideally kept in a steady climate - they can be revived and made to work.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
However, he did agree that the possiblity of a heated shed isn't quite out the window. The caveat is that I'd need it for my "office" and I don't know if that is what I'd want to do. I work from home three days a week, so putting in an "office" would not be a bad idea, and can be justified if it makes it easier for me to get my work done.

I really don't wnat to rehome any machines, in fact I've found a few more I'd love to get!
You could also get some tax relief from the cost of an office and the heating and cooling bills that would come.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have seen a few that the weather beat into lots of rust and compromised the shellac - they are ideally kept in a steady climate - they can be revived and made to work.
Exactly, the shellac gets horrible:<
Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 AM

I saw an older Singer in a cabinet that used cams at the Goodwill. They only wanted $39. for it. I was so tempted but then the hubster says "what are you going to do with it" as I have 4 machines already. I really thought maybe it would be a good thing to make purses on. I don't like when my electronic machines have to endure the thick seems on bags. But alas I passed it up. Thought of about a dozen other things I could spend that money on. Sometimes we just have to be practical.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by iluvquiltin View Post
I saw an older Singer in a cabinet that used cams at the Goodwill. They only wanted $39. for it. I was so tempted but then the hubster says "what are you going to do with it" as I have 4 machines already. I really thought maybe it would be a good thing to make purses on. I don't like when my electronic machines have to endure the thick seems on bags. But alas I passed it up. Thought of about a dozen other things I could spend that money on. Sometimes we just have to be practical.
$39 is cheaper than one service call on your electronic machine. It would have been a good investment.