Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
January Batik Disappearing 4 Patch Swap - sign-ups closed >

January Batik Disappearing 4 Patch Swap - sign-ups closed

January Batik Disappearing 4 Patch Swap - sign-ups closed

Old 03-06-2014, 04:56 PM

I wasn't going to say anything but after reading some things, I feel I have to. Yes, I am the guilty one that got in trouble with the quilt police. I joined this swap as a way to learn something new. I have learned so much from this board in the three years since I started quilting. I am grateful for this. I have had many, many positive experiences. But this swap has rubbed me the wrong way. As you can see, I m not an experienced quilter. Yes, to quote our hostess, "I thought we all knew that it is a very specific fabric." I guess I don't. I try to read the labels when I buy fabric to make sure. Especially if I am buying something for a swap. I wanted to use fabrics I already had for this swap. Part of new year's resolution. I am sure I am not the only one who has been a recipient of something that did not fully follow the guidelines of a swap. I think I sent my blocks early enough that they could have been looked at and maybe I could have had the chance to make and send new ones. Here is a picture of the front and backs of my blocks. I did 2 sets. I apologize for the error I made. I did not intend to send the wrong fabrics. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jason and hayes9.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	466025  
Old 03-06-2014, 05:15 PM

I have those same fabrics, and they were sold and labeled as batik fat quarters, so don't be to hard on yourself, the only reason I didn't use those was because I just really really loved the one I did use, but thank you for the heads up cause now I will go and double check mine, I may reread the label.. maybe they said "batik like"?
Originally Posted by sustraley View Post
I wasn't going to say anything but after reading some things, I feel I have to. Yes, I am the guilty one that got in trouble with the quilt police. I joined this swap as a way to learn something new. I have learned so much from this board in the three years since I started quilting. I am grateful for this. I have had many, many positive experiences. But this swap has rubbed me the wrong way. As you can see, I m not an experienced quilter. Yes, to quote our hostess, "I thought we all knew that it is a very specific fabric." I guess I don't. I try to read the labels when I buy fabric to make sure. Especially if I am buying something for a swap. I wanted to use fabrics I already had for this swap. Part of new year's resolution. I am sure I am not the only one who has been a recipient of something that did not fully follow the guidelines of a swap. I think I sent my blocks early enough that they could have been looked at and maybe I could have had the chance to make and send new ones. Here is a picture of the front and backs of my blocks. I did 2 sets. I apologize for the error I made. I did not intend to send the wrong fabrics. Thank you.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by sustraley View Post
Sue, I'm looking at your pictures and really can't tell they're not batik. I posted earlier about getting NONbatik blocks once and it was really obvious. Your sewing is beautiful. Not the beginner style I went through.... I do know how frustrating it is to have swap items returned. I've gone through THAT too!!! <3
Old 03-07-2014, 07:23 AM

Now I'm curious as to which one was not batik!
Do know that several years ago I purchased a couple of fabrics from different individuals online that were advertised as batik (and met the color saturation qualification) but each was a different texture from the norm. One was heavier and felt like nubby linen-like drapery fabric and the other was thinner and felt like silk. Both are beautiful and I've used them personally but will not use them for a swap because they just "don't feel right".
Old 03-07-2014, 08:16 AM

We all like to use from our stash if we can sustraley but sometimes that doesn't happen. mom-6 from what I can tell on my monitor the first one is a tie-dye fabric, I have seen it sold in Walmart, 2nd one is a batik and the 3rd was also sold in Walmart's and Hobby Lobby as batik like fabric. There really is a huge difference. And yes I have gotten items back that were not the guidelines of the swap but they have been in a swap that was sent to and from each individual and not to the hostess to sort (table runners and wall hangings as an example) . I have been on the sorting side also and did not open the packages until it was time to sort, it's too easy to lose items with open packages from several people. That sorting is a tough job for anyone to do and try to give everyone a good variety. I'm sorry about your blocks but hope you will do other swaps with all of us.
I haven't received mine yet but looking forward to them arriving. Will post for sure when they do.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:10 AM

Sustraley -

I'm sorry if you feel this swap has rubbed you the wrong way. I made a tremendous effort to be discrete, protect your privacy and to be as sensitive as possible to your feelings. Since you decided to post on the thread which is certainly your prerogative then I will respond here as well. First off, you were not the only one. There were actually a total of three participants; one who used Batiks but her blocks were not cut correctly. I sent her a very apologetic PM and returned her blocks. She was very understanding. The second swapper sent 6 sets and only 5 of the 6 were Batik so I swapped 5 sets and returned the other set unswapped. She and I are finalizing some details.

You were the third swapper. I will, for everyone's benefit, share the PM I sent you:

"“ As I was going over all the packages and getting ready to swap out all the blocks, I came to your blocks and I have some real concerns.

Only one of the fabrics, the light tan/medium brown fabric used in 2 blocks is Batik.

The other two - the purple dot and the teal print are not Batiks. The thread count is different and there is a definite front and back to the fabric which you don't see in a Batik.

I'm very sorry I have to return your quilt blocks to you unswapped. It's not fair to the other swappers who sent Batiks to not receive Batik blocks in exchange.

Again, my apologies that this didn't work out. I hope you decide to participate in some of our future swaps. There is a new swap every month to the end of the year.

Jane""

I will say, too, that it is hard to tell from your pictures that two of the fabrics are not Batik. They are pretty, but not Batik.

Now I will address the some of the points in your post:

'I thought we all knew that it is a very specific fabric. I guess I don't.' I'm sorry this was a difficult lesson to learn.

'I wanted to use fabrics I already had for this swap. Part of new year's resolution. Certainly understandable! Plenty of us want to use our stash. When a swap is SPECIFIC (and most swaps are specific), the swapper is expected to use what is called for in the instructions.

'I am sure I am not the only one who has been a recipient of something that did not fully follow the guidelines of a swap.' Not any swap that I've run and for a reason. As I mentioned in my PM to you, if swappers send in Batik blocks, they expect to receive Batik blocks in exchange, not something ‘close’. I guarantee you any swapper who sent in Batik blocks and DID NOT receive Batik blocks in exchange would have been absolutely livid and rightly so!

'I think I sent my blocks early enough that they could have been looked at and maybe I could have had the chance to make and send new ones.' Absolutely you did! I, however, was not expecting to receive anything other than Batik blocks so imagine my surprise when I opened your package. I receive lots - and I mean lots of packages in advance, which is okay. I'm the first to admit I don't inspect each and every package I receive in a swap until it's time to do the swap. I expect the swappers to follow the rules and instructions.

'I apologize for the error I made.' No need for apologies on your part. More like ‘lesson learned’. Sadly, some LQS's will 'hide' non-Batik fabrics in with their Batik bundles. As I've said to other swappers, shame on them! because there is a difference.

I'll finish this post be saying this: I have taken upon myself as the host of this swap a responsibility to ALL swappers to do several things, a few of which are:
1. offer a swap that is fun for lots of swappers
2. hold swappers quilt blocks and funds in safekeeping
3. try to the best of my ability to do a swap as equitably as possible
4. enforce the rules when needed which means I have to be the 'bad guy' and no, it's not fun.

God knows I'm not perfect and I certainly don't claim to be either. We all know I've had some faux pas along the way. This particular swap was, by far, the most challenging and I'm still mopping up and making some corrections.

I am truly sorry this swap wasn't a wonderful experience for you. I believe we all need to continually learn in our creative journey. I've been a quilter for nearly 30 years and I'm always learning something new which is as it should be! I dread the day I stop learning!

I hope you decide to join one of our other swaps. I really do. If not, then best wishes to you in your quilting.

Jane
Old 03-08-2014, 10:45 AM

...We all make mistakes. Let's just pick up the pieces (pun intended) and continue to enjoy our hobby together. :-)
Old 03-08-2014, 03:31 PM

I agree givio. I am ready to mail my next 2 sets on Monday. Get ready Jane, they're coming to you. Thought I'd receive my batiks today, not here yet....
Old 03-08-2014, 03:44 PM

Yes, we have both spoke our minds. I appreciate all the input. So, lets just drop it and move on to more positive things. What's done is done.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:49 AM

Morning All . . .

Jane . . . Were you thinking of changing the block pattern? My next swap with this group is the Asian/solid Black; just wanted to know because I'd like to start on them soon, even though they're not due til 30 June 14. . . GP