Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Home ec sewing classes..do schools offer these anymore? >

Home ec sewing classes..do schools offer these anymore?

Home ec sewing classes..do schools offer these anymore?

Old 03-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

For a number of different reasons, I only had Home Ec. classes for 2 years in high school - the first year the Principal thought we were too "young" for it, then in my Jr. year the Home Ec. teacher left for a year, but did return for my Sr. year. My Mom had taught me to sew simple items, but Home Ec. classes taught me how to follow a pattern (My Mom made up her own.), and fortunately had the patience to painstakingly rip out a zipper that I had sewn into the zipper placket, then spent another hour patiently teaching me how to put in a zipper. My kids had some small sewing projects in Middle School, but that was about it; although my son did take shop for 3 semesters, then because he and the shop teacher had an apparent difference of opinion on what shop class should be, took food prep the 4th semester. He did a good job learning to make bread, and it was delicious.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:17 PM

Our school district hasn't taught home ec in many years, but we have a very active 4H program. We have a 4H club for kids who want to sew clothes and another for quilters and another for cooking. Frankly, if you don't learn to do laundry at home, no class on it will be any help. I would be furious if home ec was a graduation requirement. Sewing is a hobby, not a life skill. I can buy anything ready made cheaper than I can sew it myself. Most people can tackle sewing on a button without taking home ec to figure it out. I much prefer to see my daughter taking computers 1-4, anatomy, personal finance, welding and drama, than too be forced to sew PJ pants she can buy ready made cheaper than she could make them. My son and daughter can both cook and do laundry, but neither wants to learn to sew and I see no need to force it upon them. As for why we have sports in schools, but no home ec, I know a number of kids who have gone to college on sports scholarships but none who have from cooking or sewing. In our town the school pays for the coach and the bus for the teams, the booster club and the parents pay for everything else. However, I do know of at least 2 schools in our area that offer home ec, or whatever the school calls it.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:18 PM

Thumbs up

*** I don't know about here, but it should be taught.
*** I was already sewing when HE was required in 8th grade in the late 50's & early 60's.
*** Some people these days do not even know how to sew on a button.
*** I taught both my kids to do a simple seam and a button.
*** Everybody needs to know at least that much.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tumdarra View Post
I was in school in the 60's up in Manitoba and we had home ec. Half the year was sewing and half the year was cooking. I must agree with most of you we made the most hideous things. We had to make an apron and top out of gingham, a dress with long sleeves and zipper, blouse with collar and buttons. But the cooking class I loved, 4 kids to a group and we had our own little kitchen area with stove etc. was great and we put out some good food
I also had High School Home Ec in the early 60s. We dis cooking and sewing, a semester of each. My first garment was a straight skirt with kick-pleat and a high shaped waistband. Made from a plaid flannel. Loved that skirt. Still have the pattern, just wish it still fit. LOL. Now they don't have Home Ec. They moved sewing and shop classes to the middle school. My 3 boys had to take sewing. They made a small pillow top with an embroidery design. Also learned to do a seams and buttons. I'm sure the girls had to take shop, too. Too bad that they don't offer it anymore as I am sure that there would be plenty of students sign up for it. I went to a sewing and quilt expo in the fall. They had a fashion show of young girls, 10years old being the youngest, modeling their fashions.WOW! Couldn't believe the work. Most were with a 4H group. I live in a rural area about 50 miles south of Chicago.

Last edited by dee1245; 03-07-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:44 PM

Not for years in my neck of the woods. I learned in Jr. High a long time ago, but my children didn't have the opportunity. They don't even know how to sew on a button. I used to make all my own clothes and when my girls were small, I made a lot of their clothes. It was my "hobby" and I enjoyed it. Now quilting is my "hobby" or "therapy" take your pick. lol
Sue
Old 03-07-2014, 03:13 PM

I am so thankful that HE was offered when I was in HS. My mom didn't sew. She bought a treadle machine so she could learn how to sew, but didn't learn how. I learned a lot in that class and went on to use the treadle after learning how to read a patten and cutting it out. Wish I had that machine today. After marrying I continued to sew garments for myself and pants and shirts for my boys; I made sports jackets and pants with vest and tie to match when they were 2, 3, and 5 years old, leisure suits later on, and the last was a two piece suit for each when they were in JR High until they didn't want mom sewing their clothes any more. I have made curtains and drapes for all the rooms in my house, bedshirts to match the curtains, sofa fitted slipcovers and now I have gotten into quilting for the past 2 years.

Last edited by dee1245; 03-07-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:05 PM

I remember sewing on my grandma Britton's treadle Machine too up stairs in her sewing room... We cut the pattern for the dress on the floor of the Bedroom... she helped me make 2 dresses I wore to school... the last year of highschool ( 1973) they let the boys in Home Ec... I still remember one group of guys made biscuits and used 1/4 CUP of Baking Powder... We called them Hockey Pucks they were so hard they didn't even break when dropped on the floor...
Old 03-07-2014, 07:17 PM

I took a semester of Textiles and Clothing with a great teacher, in high school. I learned a lot in her class. I learned to do princess seams, putting a zipper in with out wrinkles, working with a napped fabric, and matching plaids. The things I made were a princess seamed dress in a yellow fabric that I put a zipper in, a cordaory pantsuit , and a plaid skirt and matching vest. The vest reversed to a solid that was the background of the plaid. I got many comliments on my items and I got an A+ for the semester.I wanted to take it again to learn more but the school said no.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:19 PM

Home Ec by any name is good. Learning to make anything whether it's in shop or home ec helps build confidence and self esteem. It also gives you the skills to repair something yourself instead of having to call someone.
What I think is at least as important is teaching the students some basic finances like how to balance a budget, how to save or invest at least part of their earnings and how to learn not to fall for all the different sales gimmicks out there.
I really wish I had more education in those areas when I was in school. I think we touched on balancing budgets briefly in social studies but that was it. The only way we can have a healthy economy is if people are wise with their money. I also hate the term "consumer". I'm not a consumer, I'm a person and I do far more than just buy things.

Also here's something I never learned until it was too late. Get a life insurance plan that's not tied to your work. When you are diagnosed with a life threatening illness one of the first things to go is often your job. If all your insurance is thru work, it's gone.
Rodney
Old 03-07-2014, 08:33 PM

Junior High Home Ec in the 50's (!) - our teacher Miss Takas had us bring in a notebook (the standard black and white mottled cover) and fill it with small squares of about 200 different fabrics. We could all trade among ourselves and she had tons of different fabrics to help us reach the total. Oh to have that notebook today with all those good 1950's cotton prints!