Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
white batik-does it exist? >

white batik-does it exist?

white batik-does it exist?

Old 03-08-2014, 05:15 AM

Flare Fabrics has white batik it's called Tonga Air which is Timeless Treasures fabric
Old 03-08-2014, 05:20 AM

I also have never found a white batik. I ordered one that I thought was cream and when it arrived it was TAN. I was SO disappointed. I just added to my stash. Plus the tear drop design on it was very big and not what I thought when I saw the picture of it online. I may use it for a backing in the future.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:01 AM

This may sound horrid..but i recently successfully bleached some blue batik bc i wanted shades of that color. It worked very well but one batch became white as snow with some dots of blue. Of course it was diluted by about a 1:1 ratio and the batik will lose its color almost immediately so you need to monitor it closely but this is definitely an option especially if you see an almond or even beige/khaki that appeals. It was fun. I was able to get gradated blues out of one fabric for a sky background for a mini quilt.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:28 AM

I don't think a white on white batik is possible. There wouldn't be any contrast. I needed a while batik for a quilt backing and found some at Hancock's, but they were waiting for a shipment that never came. I found something that would work on another site and it worked great, but there was a little gray worked in. Very light as I was afraid it would change the front that has an off-white background fabric. I was afraid the color would show through. It didn't. Oh yes, I needed extra wide fabric.
Sue
Old 03-08-2014, 10:59 AM

look at this site http://www.ttfabrics.com/fabrics/tonga-java-blenders/ has what seems as a lot of whites
Old 03-08-2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
Try batiks galore online or sew batiks. Not sure what they carry but they are extensive batiks only.
Thanks lfstamper, found what I wanted at batiks galore, this boards is awesome, they emailed me right away with photos of what I was looking for, excellent customer service.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:03 PM

Anthology batiks has some light, but I don't know if white, batiks also.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:08 PM

There are several posts on this board about looking for a white on white batikm which it seems no one has found yet. Because batiking the fabric is a process (the dyeing and stamping of a pattern onto the fabric) it may have some hint of color albeit it can be a very light tint.

Hoffman sells the fabrics that they use for their batiks in an unprepared state that some buy to dye themselves. Here is the link.

Good luck with your search.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I have been on an endless hunt for a white on white batik, and am finding it is almost impossible to find as are off white batiks. I am in need of 7 1/2 yards for background, If I find one it is like 5 yards left. this is very frustrating, even at the quilt craft festival today only 2 booths had bolts and neither had what I needed, very disappointing, may have to wait till road2ca net year to find it. anyone have any good sources as I am at a loss. I have tried batiks plus, batiks etc, canton village, abbymay, fat quarter shop, fabric.com, thousands of bolts, you name it I have searched.
If you go to Quiltshops.Com and type in White Batiks you will receive numerous shops that carry this
fabric with swatches to view. I have always been able to locate what I am looking for on this website.
Good Luck in your search.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:08 AM

Dolphyngyrl, please let us know when you get your fabric from batiks galore, if it is the white on white batik you are looking for. It would be nice to know there is a source for it, if it is the white you are looking for.