Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I expect a new in box machine? >

Should I expect a new in box machine?

Should I expect a new in box machine?

Old 03-10-2014, 06:26 PM

While I initially liked the local dealer, after spending time there they did put down other manufacturers and I don't care for that. I don't mind them telling me they've had problems repairing Singers as they're now made of plastic and keep getting out of time no matter what they do, but they tell me Brother machines are no good. I know a lot of people who have Brothers and who think they're great machines. They also told me that Bernina machines are difficult to navigate and difficult to work on. I tested them and found them as easy as the Janome and Pfaffs. As far as servicing them, if they're not a certified Bernina dealer, yes, it could be a problem for them. I don't mind facts but they gave me too many opinions and were clearly trying to tell me that their machines were the only ones to consider. In my travels during this machine search, there were several dealers who said that there were a lot of goo machines out there and then they told me what theirs' had to offer. Now that I think about it, I don't have a lot of trust in the local dealer. Too bad as I really did want to buy from them.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I want to make something aware to you. If you buy the new machine for less. If it Is NEW, then the nearest dealer to you has to let you take the free lessons. I had a bad experience with this. I had to drive over 200 miles to take my classes because there were 17 hours on the machine I bought. Be careful about this. I never took the free classes. Just dove in and learned on my own. Good luck to you.
Not always true on the dealer and free lessons. My Mom got a huge surprise when she bought a machine while visiting me and the local dealer would NOT give any instructions.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
While I initially liked the local dealer, after spending time there they did put down other manufacturers and I don't care for that. I don't mind them telling me they've had problems repairing Singers as they're now made of plastic and keep getting out of time no matter what they do, but they tell me Brother machines are no good. I know a lot of people who have Brothers and who think they're great machines. They also told me that Bernina machines are difficult to navigate and difficult to work on. I tested them and found them as easy as the Janome and Pfaffs. As far as servicing them, if they're not a certified Bernina dealer, yes, it could be a problem for them. I don't mind facts but they gave me too many opinions and were clearly trying to tell me that their machines were the only ones to consider. In my travels during this machine search, there were several dealers who said that there were a lot of goo machines out there and then they told me what theirs' had to offer. Now that I think about it, I don't have a lot of trust in the local dealer. Too bad as I really did want to buy from them.

Do they only sell Janome?

I have only had one dealer who said they didn't like one of the Big Four, and that's a dealer I've dealt with for years who stopped carrying Viking after they were bought by Pfaff. I've not found a dealer in 20 years who likes Singer, though. LOL But with those exceptions, every dealer I've spoken with will say that each brand has something to offer. I really dislike the hard sale ... I've been known to walk away from a salesman doing that.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:57 AM

Warm up the car....
Old 03-11-2014, 03:02 AM
Power Poster

To invest that much money on a "used" machine would be out of the question for me when I could save $1,600 by driving 2.5 hours. If you didn't want to drive that far, you could pay a neighbor $100 to take you. Just a thought.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:38 AM

If your dealer won't match or at least come within a few hundred, then that dealer should understand why you purchase the machine elsewhere. Even if you were getting a new-in-box machine, the difference in price is still significant enough to make the drive. I don't mind buying floor models but the ONLY advantage in doing that is the savings...and in this case, there is none. He's expecting you to pay a premium for a used machine. I remember looking at a much less expensive floor model and when i asked how long it had been out, i was told, "not long at all...barely a year". Demo machines are often left on all day and some of those bulbs are integrated parts so its not just a matter of buying a new bulb and often the parts/feet go missing too. I once got home w/ a floor model that was missing spool pins and a couple of the feet belonged to a different machine. All that got sorted out but the $$ saved was still worth that little aggravation.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:39 AM

I drove four hours to save $800 on a range, so I'd drive 2.5 hours to save $1600 with no second thoughts. Your local dealer sounds like a place I wouldn't want to have any dealings with at all anyway.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:42 AM

I would expect a new in box machine too, not a demonstration model. I think for the 600 sales tax I would travel the 2 1/2 hours, make a day trip out of it, go to lunch to celebrate with your savings.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:43 AM

I would make a drive and save lots of $ as well as get one that has not been used and is boxed up. To me sounds like that individual just wants to get rid of that floor model. Most places I have ever dealt with, whether it be sewing machines or other items from other stores, do not sell their floor model demonstrators, and if they do it is at a reduced price. I know I would definitely make the drive and be sure I was buying a NEW machine. If I could save $1,600.00 I definitely would, but then I personally don't have the extra money to give a dealer especially if can save that much money on something. Gee think of all the fabric and thread you could buy with $1,600.00. Just curious but what kind of machine are you looking at? Just my personal opinion, but you asked.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 AM

I live in your state and understand what you are going through. I'm lucky to be near the NH border, so this dilemma is a little easier for me. Also, I know this means that if you need service in the winter or mud season - AKA November-April - driving those distances can be a problem. Whatever manufacturer's policy might be for machines on things like service and training, good will with the store owner of a small store is crucial. Most people I've dealt with are pleasant and as someone mentioned, most want your ongoing business regardless of where you bought your machine. But go with your gut on who you want to deal with to buy and to follow up. Most machines, especially electronic ones like that are going to need routine service, so you'll be on the road more than once regardless of where you buy. That's the joy of living where we do. Say, are you planning on doing the VT Shop Hop later this month? It's a great chance to see other options that are out there. Good luck.