Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I expect a new in box machine? >

Should I expect a new in box machine?

Should I expect a new in box machine?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:24 AM

I believe I would sing all the way to the other store. but as rjwilder said, set up an appointment for machine orientation.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:26 AM

Yes it should be sold at a lower price it's a demonstater floor model and yes other people have tried this out. Boy how dumb do these sales people think we are. I'd would've said that to them. I have bought many floor models and yes at a lower price. Refrigerators, washers,dryers, freezer. If you aren't in too big of a hurry to get one I would check around with other places, on line craigslist, even call the main company and I'd even say something to them about how they are trying to sell a used demonstrator product for the price of a new one. I'd say that is Bad Business.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:30 AM

GrandmaSew I just posted a reply but I saw where Janetter just got a long arm from an aquaintence of hers. You might want to just ask around or keep your ears open someone out there might want to upgrade and sell theirs. Unless you want to go top of line and brand new. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by blimey View Post
Sounds like it would be worth the 2.5 hours to get 'in the box' and save $l,600
Ditto. I also would travel the 2.5 hours. The dealer doesn't sound like he/she would be easy to work with in the future.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:43 AM

Last year I bought a new machine. It is top of the line too. I called and talked to 3 different shops. All would give me about the same deal on a new machine. I finally went with the one that was closest but only because i was getting the same deal at each place. I might rethink this dealer that isn't coming off the price for a used machine even if it was rarely used. Just my .02 for what it's worth.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 AM

Well, I appreciate all the good advice! I just called up the dealer who is farther away and made an appointment to buy the machine and have them do an initial set up with me. I asked if it would be in the box still when I arrived. The reply was "Of course. We would not open the box until you bought it." I think they thought it strange that I would ask such a thing! Unfortunately I have to wait until next week due to a big storm and some scheduling conflicts I have. Now, I just can wait to make that drive!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Gladmaker, unless he took the machine out of a box before you tried it, to me that means it's a floor model or demo machine and you should get some type of discount. I don't think you were wrong at all. While 2.5 hours is not just around the corner, to save that $1600 would more than make up for the inconvenience of the drive.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:58 AM

I recently purchased a new Bernina 530 machine and bought a floor model at a nearly 50% discount. I brought it home, set it up and started through the machine manual step by step. I tried every thing shown in the book and made my own notebook of things I learned. I also marked the manual for things that I did not understand. By the way, I live 2.5 hours from the dealer. I called and made an appointment and took my marked manual in and asked them to show me the things I did not understand. They did so cheerfully and I came home and tried again. The outcome is that I understood it all. The one problem is the automatic threader and the next time I go there I will take the machine and a tech will look at it. I am totally happy with the situation and have thought that the dealership treated me fairly. Ane yes, a floor model should be lower in price. Not only is it slightly used (in time) but that use might be hard usage by people who do not know what they are doing with a new machine.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
The store also sells both Pfaff and Janomes. I don't have any problems with buying a floor model if that's what I wanted. I'd have to weigh the savings vs the amount of time it could have been on the floor. When I was there last week they said the owner had taken it home to try for a while but that could have been a different machine (assuming they sold that floor model and got another). They also have quite a few sewing clubs and sew up lots of quilts so they even could have been using the machine to do that. I guess I don't know.
I just don't want to deal with them. I'm sure they won't come down $1600 (then I'd still have to pay tax on the balance anyway). But I don't like the way they're doing business and I think what they're doing is somewhat deceitful.
The model I am looking at is an embroidery/sewing machine, the Janome 15000. I've also tried out the Pfaff Creative Sensation, Bernina 780 and the Brother Dreamweaver XE. All of these machines sewed beautifully and had in house repair people.
I think you just answered your own question here when you said "I just don't want to deal with them". I think you are right and should go with the less expensive machine. $1000 difference in the machine is a lot of money. As far as lessons go, if you asked the less expensive dealer if they could combine the lessons for you in one day they probably would considering the distance you have to drive. As someone else says in a post you will get a manual anyway and they are pretty user friendly so you may not need a lot of lessons. There is also a great thread on this board for embroidery. Good luck with your decision and new machine!

Sorry, I missed your last post that you have made your decision! Good for you!
Old 03-11-2014, 10:32 AM

Thank you! Since I now how (too much) time before I get the machine, I found the manual online and some online lessons by Janome. While I will need some lessons for the more complicated things, I'm pretty sure I can figure out the basics myself. From quilterpurpledog- I will print out the lessons they give and I'll be able to make notes and see where I need help.
This board is such a great source of information. I hadn't been posting for a long time as I felt I was doing too much reading and not enough sewing but I'm going to have to find a balance as I don't want to miss out on all the great advice here.