Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt. >

Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt.

Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:20 PM

Whatever you do, if you use elmers glue, make sure it is elmers "washable glue"!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:37 PM

I think it's called elmer's school glue.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:45 AM

I just bought some iron on batting to try. I think I won't try it now. Back to my spray glue. I have found that to work better and much easier than pins. Please let us know if you find a solution.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:17 AM

I've been reading up on how to get the adhesive off. So far Vodka has been suggested, and nail polish remover. If the Vodka doesn't work, I may just have to drink it. haha
Old 03-13-2014, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I tried putting tiny dots of elmers glue on binding. pressed it as stated and it came through the binding fabric. wasn't happy. if you use glue, it must, must be tiny dots so you can sew through it. I gave up.

If you use regular Elmers then you would have a problem. I use thin lines of Elmer's Washable School Glue, black label, and it dries soft. The needle glides through it. Of course it's going to get on the fabric but it washes out completely or comes off with a wet cloth.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:02 AM

there is a can of spray basting adhesive that works very well-I can't remember the name at this moment-old age brain
Old 03-13-2014, 05:31 AM

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. There are other ways to temporarily stick your quilt sandwich together; try Sullivan's quilt spray, etc. I wouldn't give up a wonderful ironing surface just because of 1 glitch.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:32 AM

A little bit of washable school glue goes a long way. I glue my quilts and bindings this way. To do bindings I use a long stick like a wooden skewer that you make kabobs with. Dip that in my glue bottle and run it along the edge of the quilt. Fold my binding over and press. I keep both the iron and the glue away from the folded edge of my binding because I want that free for handing sewing it down. The iron sets the glue otherwise the binding will not stay in place until the glue dries. To use glue when sandwiching the quilt I don't use an iron but rather just let it dry over night or for a few hours. There is a tendency I think for people to use too much glue using this method. You really don't need a whole lot to keep things in place.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 AM

I have used fusible batting for years now, but I always get Hobbs 80/20, and love the ease of using it. I use on large quilts as I hate spray adhesives, they get all over everything and smell. I tried June Tailor once, and yes that has big old globs of glue all through it. There is a big difference between June Tailor, and Hobbs. So don't give up on fusibles, just make sure it is Hobbs.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:09 AM

Years ago I bought a tube of June Taylor's Fray Block and every thing I used it on had little white globs since instead of drying clear it dried white which of course it is not supposed to do. Well they reimbursed me the fray check with another bottle and also let me pick from there products to reimburse for the ruined projects. I would suggest that you go ahead and take them up on there offer and very sorry to hear of your experience. The reason my fray block turned white it had frozen in transport and then thawed and so that is why it turned white. A lot of us use the fusible batting all the time and unfortunately you got some bad product don't give up. Try the Un Do you may be very surprised by the results. Also they said they would pay for dry cleaning so take them up on that and see if it works. Good luck.