Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt. >

Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt.

Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:23 AM

I've been afraid to use the fusible batting, but I've had good luck with spray basting. But I don't do it in the house.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

Using the DIY approach try the same on a smaller piece that you don't care what happens. Then soak it for a bit in ammonia and see if that lifts the streaking. I use ammonia on my DH clothes when he gets grease from working on cars. If that doesn't work you might try placing a paper sack or maybe even parchment paper on top then lay a hot iron on it and see if it lifts the fusible from the fabric.
Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
I have used fusible batting from Joanns and never had a problem. that is terrible, but it isn't your fault. I would call the people you bought it from and if they can't help call the mfgr. and if they blow you off tell them you are demonstrating use of product for a big quilt show or some other drum-beating nonsense and get attention from a tech rep of the company. That is a clear case of material failure to perform as advertised.

My only thought about a DIY approach is to use mineral spirits or paint thinner or nail polish remover. I suggest you iron the stuff on some scrap fabrics and then try different approaches.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 AM

My son used Goo Gone on a carpet and it dissolved the backing. It took a couple of weeks for the "lumps and bumps" to show on the rug. I wouldn't recommend Goo Gone for fabric.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:53 AM

Have you tried Goo Gone? It might work. It does wonders on other gluey like substances.

Oops, just read the post above this one. Disregard, then, unless you try it on some other fabric first.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:10 AM

I actually tried GooGone before reading the above post. It didn't touch it. But did make a lovely stain on the back of the quilt to deal with as well.
I took the batting back to Hobby Lobby this morning. I had bought it with a 40% off coupon. But the salewoman gave me a full price store credit for my troubles. They are such a great organization.
It doesn't fix the quilt, but it was nice of her anyway.
The representative of June Tailor is now asking me to send her the quilt after I told her the cleaners said they couldn't get it out. So if she will pay the shipping I'll send it. She said they can always get it out. I say "go for it then"
Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
It is June Tailor batting from Hobby Lobby. I contacted someone there(at June Tailor). She suggested having it dry cleaned and said she would reimburse me in products from their website. And would also replace the roll of batting. Um. Don't think so. I have no intention of taking the chance with that batting ever again.
I'm going back to pinning. Which is too bad, because my husband just finished making me a work station that has an ironing surface large enough to accommodate a child's size quilt. It was so easy to fuse. I knew it was too good to be true.
What about GooGone? Would that work?
Have you thought of trying Elmer's Washable School Glue or Home made spray glue from flour, water, salt and rubbing alcohol? They are both water soluble!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sval View Post
i've been reading up on how to get the adhesive off. So far vodka has been suggested, and nail polish remover. If the vodka doesn't work, i may just have to drink it. Haha
rofl!!! :d
Old 03-13-2014, 11:43 AM

I use school glue all the time for my binding and it has always completley washed out and left no residue.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
I used fusible batting on some placemats -- I wasn't impressed with it. It didn't seem to stick so I didn't really see any use for it. I don't like the idea of glue from fusibles, etc on my quilts--no one seems to know what effect they will have on the fabric in later years.
I so agree and I used only the top name brands. Not worth the extra money at all!
Old 03-13-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
the only fusible that had globs of glue was June Tailor. it should wash out but go ahead and contact the manufacturer in case they have other suggestions. Good luck.
I had this happen to me after using the June Tailer fusible. I tossed what was left. Not interested in using a fusible again. One burned twice shy I guess.