2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-13-2014, 05:31 AM

Irish: Yet another clear case of entrapment.....
Old 03-13-2014, 06:23 AM

In my defense, I only added two to my shopping cart which shows great restraint on my part. They are replacements for fabric I gave to my daughter when I was in a generous mood. I must love her a lot to give up red batiks. I haven't hit submit yet, so I can remove them, but will I???
Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 PM

Irishrose, I feel your desire for red fabric. CT has a way with wonderful colors.
MagpieQuilter, welcome and good luck with your goals. We do try to help each other here, but we are so understanding it's almost fun to fall off the wagon. A lot of clucking with sympathy from us all. It's just about the 14th, and my oh my, I haven't bought fabric yet this month. I am in awe.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:01 AM
Power Poster

Ok....10 days since my last trip to Midland (our closest big shopping precinct)...I was offered part-time employment today (Yay) no more job applications, only a small amount of hours to start, but it will build up over the months. I did stop by at Textile Trader's - bought a replacement zipper for a skirt, some stabilizer and one spool of cotton thread. Did I look at fabric....oh yes....was it beautiful...oh yes..did it find it's way home with me ...NO. Even went to Good Samaritans (they had 50% off clothing today) - I did buy a skirt and a shirt and a big basket with flaps, but the clothes are to wear, and I'm re-lining the basket with fabric from stash...I thought the basket would be handy for supplies I'll need for my new job. Gosh....I can justify almost anything

So Ms Irishrose....did you hit submit?...

Well done everyone.....in the face of huge temptation, we stand strong.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:57 AM

Well done earthwalker!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 AM

I fell off the wagon again!! BUt I just couldn't resist those 50% off coupon at Joann's. I bought 7 yards of Kona bone and 2 1/2 yards of pool. I also got some tone on tone FQ's for the workshop I'm taking on Tuesday.

Have any of you seen that Kona color pool?? I just fell in love with it. I think it would be great with some 30's fabrics or for a 2 color quilt with the bone color fabric. I have so many ideas of what to do with it I don't know which one to pick!!
cindy
Old 03-17-2014, 07:02 AM

I was to Joanns last week. Nothing I wanted and seemed very high. I will save up and buy material when I go out of town for Thanksgiving if I go. I got 3 yard of deer blocks to make a quilt. 4 blocks to the yard. All I have bought this year.

I plan to make a quilt for my nephew. Rest of quilt I will use stash. Got to do the math to make that work. Their house burnt last month. They got out okay but lost their couple cats. They are 78 . Have ins but I am sure will never cover it all.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:14 PM

So far this month, I have resisted the urge, to buy anything. I did tear some ideas out of the CT catalog and really need to get a layer cake for a class I am taking in May but thinking I may just be able to look in my stash and cut my own. I know we all don't want to quit buying totally or there won't be any quilt shops left but so far, we are all doing quite good.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:17 PM

SandyinZ4: "She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!" I love this quote. I think I have really supported the LQS's very well. It does make me feel a little strange walking in and out of their shops and not buying anything. I think the owners find it a little strange too. But, there are other quilters buying every time I go in so I don't think I'm doing too much damage. Sigh....
Old 03-18-2014, 01:23 PM

Rhonda my dear don't you worry about those shop owners. I have personally spent 60.00 and looked and looked again at my fabric. REALLY? 5 yrds? it fit in on hand! I know they do that all day long too so I don't feel bad at all. I am trying hard at not buying or if I do not much. I had to pick up some easter because I run a swap here for easter/spring swappers and well not everyone ever sends. So a yard is a good thing to have to cut and toss in a so sorry package. Phew. I have been superbly good.. for me. I am so tired of shopping it feels good to use up some of what I have. I cut into my scraps and darned! I still have so many to go! I could make several scrap quilts before I ever finished that stuff. Didn't even touch the black or white pile.. so many so little time! I am working on UFO's. Yup, goal of this year is to finish them all up. period. I will work on one and only one new quilt. The rest will be ufo's. so far three down. I am no where near as fast as another person but slow and steady still .. finishes the race