Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern sharing >

Pattern sharing

Pattern sharing

Old 03-17-2014, 08:09 AM

Some people are just like that. I know one. There is always something I can do for her.....
Old 03-17-2014, 08:19 AM

I have an extensive quilting library, I do lend out books to my fellow quilters friends if they are looking for ideas, they usually combine designs from different books or create their own beautiful patterns.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 AM
sap

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
I just returned from an out of town retreat that I attend twice a year. There is a woman that always attends. I do not know her other than attending the same retreat. Twice now, she has asked if she could borrow two different patterns. I made an excuse and put her off without wanting to hurt her feelings. She also asked my friend if she could borrow a book that she had at the last retreat. I also over-heard her ask someone else if she could borrow her book. At the last retreat she even asked the store owner if she could borrow her copier to copy the pattern I would not let her take. What is everyone's take on loaning books and patterns? I do not borrow patterns, as I do not want the responsibility of returning them.. I will write down the name and author and buy my own. I am reluctant to loan out books and patterns. I don't think it is right to copy patterns and books as people are trying to make money on them. I have had other people ask me for patterns. I have tried to offer the name and author, but some people act like they should be able to get things for free. I do loan patterns to good friends and sisters, as I know I can get them back. How do others handle this situation?
I "loaned" book/pattern of E Burn's to a cousin of mine knowing full well I'd get it back. I just didn't know she was going to die first.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
I don't consider myself as being cheap because if I see a pattern or a kit I really want I buy but I prefer to have sewing time with friends on a sharing basis so this is why I use the free and traditional patterns and there are so many of them they can keep us busy forever we are doing one at seniors now every Wed. and it is so fun to watch our quilts coming together and how different with just the change of colors ---I also prefer magazines over books as so many times only one pattern in a book to use guess we all have our ways of doing things but I consider myself as a sharing person and I do not believe in copying a pattern to sell that is against the law but to share and ose in a quilting group I see no harm in it
It is against copyright law to copy the pattern no matter if you are selling it or giving it away. When a designer purchases a copyright (it isn't free!), they are the only person who has the right to copy it. Period.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:13 AM

There are only a handful of people I feel comfortable loaning my patterns/books to. Free patterns from blogs and fabric manufacturers are wonderful you can just guide them to the website.

If she needs to "borrow" quilt books I would guide her toward the local public library. Ours has a couple of shelves of quilting books you can check out for 2 weeks at a time, we can also get up to 13 renewals on an item. The selection might be limited but the price is right.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:32 AM

Just say no I don't want to do that. It is being truthful without a lengthily explanation
Old 03-17-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by rosiewell View Post
I have an extensive quilting library, I do lend out books to my fellow quilters friends if they are looking for ideas, they usually combine designs from different books or create their own beautiful patterns.
I'm sure that this is how I would be if I were around a lot of quilters. I have only one around me here in Poland I do let her look at books I have. I also don't mind asking for them back.

Unless it was one of my favorite 5 quilting books, I'd loan it. If it were one of my quilter's academy or a couple of other books I look at OFTEN, then I'd pass and say I'd rather not. Books are often easy/inexpensive to buy on Amazon at incredibly good prices--check out the used ones when you look up the new one.

But she may not really know if she wants the whole book--I'd give the lady a break and simply say, "I'm not comfortable loaning it out as it is one of my favorites." (if it is--otherwise, just leave off the last part)

As to the lady who had someone start to write in a loaned book--I'd have been STEAMING! Wow. That's audacity!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:47 AM

you can copy patterns the library told me that the thing is you cannot sell that pattern.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:57 AM

I don't lend out anything anymore. I've lost too much stuff. People sometimes lie and tell me that they have already returned it too. It simply puts too much stress on a friendship.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

To me the woman sounds extremely cheap, especially when asking the quilt shop owner to copy patterns, which, as you said, violates copyright laws. If you care to share the information, write down the pattern name and where she can purchase it, otherwise tell her that you do not loan any books or patterns (unless it is to a good friend and you know you will get it back, plus she will not abuse the privilege) as you have been burned in the past, in other words, just say NO. I agree with Tartan, if she can afford to attend a quilt retreat, she can afford to purchase a book or pattern.