Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beware of pattern!! >

Beware of pattern!!

Beware of pattern!!

Old 03-16-2014, 09:47 AM

I Herd Ewe, that's gorgeous! Love the fabrics you chose. Is that her name on the quilt?
Old 03-16-2014, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I Herd Ewe, that's gorgeous! Love the fabrics you chose. Is that her name on the quilt?
Hi Peace and Joy,

Thank you! Yes, that is her name in Korean writing appliqued on the center block. It says Jangmi which means Rose in English so her quilt is quilted in roses. That quilt is straight from the pattern except for the half stars added across the top to fit her twin bed with a pillow tuck. I found the pattern fun and easy and would do it again.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:18 PM

What a great addition to the quilt - and clever to include the English translation into the quilting, too. Asian symbols astound me - representing both a character and word, so hard to wrap my mind around. Yet the symbols are so graceful, they become art unto themselves.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:44 AM

Hangul (the Korean script I wrote Jangmi's name in) is actually an alphabet of 24 letters. The letters are grouped in syllables rather than written linearly as we write with our Roman lettering but, like our own alphabet, each letter represents a sound. Hangul is quite different than the stylized picture writing used in many Asian countries where each symbol represents a word. Called Kanja in Korea, Kanji in Japan, and Xandzi in China or Hantu in Vietnam, it has over 10,000 different symbols. I also think Hangul looks beautiful and handwriting skills seem far more emphasized in Asia so everything written appears more like our calligraphy than our basic scribbled script even when it is written using their basic alphabets rather than the elegant and more meaning filled Kanji.