Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trading in one brand sewing machine for another? >

Trading in one brand sewing machine for another?

Trading in one brand sewing machine for another?

Old 03-16-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
There is a yahoo group called "sewitsforsale" for selling sewing-related things, machines, accessories, fabrics, ect. I've sold two machines on there and bought my Bernina 440. You have to be able to pack really well for shipping, though.
I have just recently sold a Pfaff on this group. It works well. Agreed you either have to pack well, or have them pick up locally.

Do you still have the original box and the packing? If so, packing will not be an issue, since those are made to be shipped.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:55 PM

All this talking about Janome's is making me depressed. I am saving for the 6600 and it's sloooow going. My son gives me $50 a month to help with bills since he's 19 & once in a while hubby will give me some cash for when he's out of town, I just put it in my Janome saving spot. From what I can find they run around $1,500 so I have a long road to go but I figure by the time I get it I'll be a better quilter (only 1yr now). Hubby just found out he's getting a bonus this month so maybe just maybe he'll contribute some money to my Janome savings. Cross yer fingers for me.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
I called the store. They don't take trade ins of non Berninas. And suggested selling it online. That can be a huge hassle. Guess I'm stuck with it.
I need a vacay.
You could try craigslist. That's a little less painful than ebay and it's free.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:49 PM

Craigslist is the way to go. Free; can usually get close to asking price if procedurally/competitively; local (no packing or shipping). I've sold my old sewing machine, appliances, photo equipment, furniture, home decor, bikes, toys, even our pop-up tent trailer and other camping gear on craigslist. We purchase quite a bit, too.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
Actually after going to the Bernina Dealer on Thursday, after being assured they do take trade ins, I discovered they were willing to give me 500 for it. It is a 7500 machine. Don't think so. The gal went through all the trouble of showing me several different machines and then dropped that bomb on me.
And also after using the Bernina I like the Janome I have better. If I could just get the needle threader to function properly I'd be good to go.
My Janome has so many more stitches on it, a wider throat and even though I don't embroider that often, the capability is there. I use the cloth guide, which is part of the embroidery function, to get a great seam.
So if nothing else, it was good to see what's out there that I thought I wanted.
If anyone else has a Janome with a fussy needle threader let me know what to do about it. That little metal thingy that's supposed to come through the eye of the needle is off to the side.
I have a 350E, a 7700, and a 12000. If the needle threader won't work with that needle, try a different needle size/brand.

With my 7700, (different needles seem to have the hole in slightly different places) sometimes I have to thread the needle by hand. It has always been when I use a larger needle.

When I switch back to the 90/14 or smaller, the threader seems to work all the time.

Also, I have to make sure I have it pushed all the way up it will go. I was actually surprised one time when that was the problem. I figured the machine wouldn't sew if the needle wasn't quite in the right position. I was wrong.

I really like all three of my Janomes. I live in Poland (but an American) and wanted a higher end machine but a reasonable cost. I've found the Janomes to fit the bill for me. They seem to be reasonably priced here in Poland but give me the 'high end' experience.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:40 AM

"OLDISME" - Don't let them get you down about the 6600 you want. It is an excellent machine, I had one and many people love their 6600's with the acufeed foot. I have had many Janome machines, the 6260QC, 6600, 7700 Horizon, 11000SE and the 15000 as well as the little machine I take to class and they were all excellent machines with little maintenance needed.

Last edited by Jamiestitcher62; 03-17-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:45 AM

Also have the Janome 6600, 3050 and emb. machine 350e. Never a problem.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
All this talking about Janome's is making me depressed. I am saving for the 6600 and it's sloooow going. My son gives me $50 a month to help with bills since he's 19 & once in a while hubby will give me some cash for when he's out of town, I just put it in my Janome saving spot. From what I can find they run around $1,500 so I have a long road to go but I figure by the time I get it I'll be a better quilter (only 1yr now). Hubby just found out he's getting a bonus this month so maybe just maybe he'll contribute some money to my Janome savings. Cross yer fingers for me.
Don't worry. I have a 7700 and enjoy using (daily) and unlike some (apparently) I LOVE my needle threader. It is fast and works unless I put in a needle that is incompatible, which isn't often. I'm very glad I invested in this machine in 2010. That is also when I began to search out some other sewers on the internet and found this board!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:18 PM

I have an old Janome (New Home MC6000) and had a problem using the needle threader for years. I took it to a dealer and he fixed it free of charge and now it works perfectly when I'm not using too thick a thread, too thin an needle and when the needle is in the correct (top) position. I also have a Juki with a needle threader that's always worked great unless I'm not using too thick a thread, too thin an needle and when the needle is in the correct (top) position. A good dealer should be able to fix it if it's just misaligned and teach you how to use it1
Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 AM

When I moved I sold 2 machines on Craig's List. I got my asking price. Just vet the prospective buyers in a phone call to try and be sure they are legit and don't be home alone when they come to look at your machine. Good luck.