Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pros and Cons of domestic machines and quilting frames >

Pros and Cons of domestic machines and quilting frames

Pros and Cons of domestic machines and quilting frames

Old 03-18-2014, 09:44 PM

Default Pros and Cons of domestic machines and quilting frames

I have a domestic sewing machine (Brother 1500S) with a 8.5 " throat. I need advise on whether or not it is worth investing in a quilting frame to do FMQ . One drawback I read was the smaller throat size reduces the sewing space which dwindles as the quilt builds up on the roller. I need advise on affordable quality long arm machines and frames.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:40 AM
Power Poster

only you can decide if it is 'worth it' but before making that commitment you should 'shop around' for a shop/dealer that has a set up you could try out- or a friend, quilt shop, *try it before you buy it* when you quilt on your domestic machine without a frame you can manipulate your quilt around to get to all the areas- this 'process' is limited when using a frame- and the frame does take up 'throat' space- so by the end you may only have 2"- 4" of quilting space to work in- depending on how large the quilt is- so, you would really want to plan your design. some people love using the frames- some find it very *restricting* ~~ but as with most things each of us are different- and only you can decide what is best for you.
as for the 'affordable, quality long arm machines' affordable is a relative term & means something different to each of us- I may have believed the $10,000 I spent on my long arm was a great deal- where you may find that to be not affordable at all...
again, call around, visit dealers, shows, shops, check them out- ask questions, test drive (they are an investment and you need to find the one YOU like-just like buying a car) then, when you find what you like/want you could start looking for used ones in a price you are comfortable with- but don't make the investment (blindly) without having at least tried them out- because the 'thought of owning one' is appealing.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:29 AM

two of my friend have bought the wooden frame from the Grace Co. in the last couple years. They are using the 9 inch throat machines. you can do meandering alone or with hearts, leaves, stars etc. I had that type of set up for two years. I would suggest the grace frame because the ones my friends have can accept a machine up to 18 inches. So, if you later want to add a machine with a bigger throat it is doable on that frame
Old 03-19-2014, 05:03 AM

I have a domestic machine and a quilt frame and have done 3 full size bed quilts on it. It is true, you are limited to the amount of space you can quilt but I just love it. I love the feeling of guiding the machine over the quilt. It is ideal for baby quilts but can do larger ones as well.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:31 AM

I have a Janome 1600 on a Grace frame and enjoy using it. It does limit the size of the space - but works well for my limited quilting.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:52 AM

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on a machine with just 8.5" of throat space. If you want an "affordable" machine, check out the Bailey's, they have 13", 15" and 17" machines, sit down or with a frame. They have great customer service, family owned and the machines have a good reputation. When I have the room and the money, a Bailey is what I'll get.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:06 AM

I had planned to get such a setup myself, until I found a Bailey with frame for a reasonable price. After using the 15" machine for quilting, I would not want to try using a smaller machine on a frame. The sewing area would be too small. Having said that, however, I've read that some determined people have used such a setup successfully.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:22 PM

I have a frame with a Juki set up on it this machine has a 9 inch throat I do all my charity quilts on this,if the quilt is to long I put it on sideways,my frame is 12 ft long,
I start of quilting in about a 5 inch space and find when I get to the end I still have that 5 inch or very near it space
Old 03-19-2014, 07:31 PM

I started with a Juki and swapped it out for a HQ16 pretty quickly. It would help if you could find someone who has a similar set up for you to try. Its taken me 3 frames and 4 machines to find what fits me best. Good luck with your search!