Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 03-23-2014, 08:16 AM

Looking forward to the next round options as well. I love seeing each of these projects grow.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:03 AM

Ok not having fun with my round! I decided all green, fine! I decided to do a block in a block for my next round. GREAT! trouble is I did them either too large or too darned small not sure which. You see 6.5 doesn't go, 7.5 doesn't go and 8.5 doesn't go. 52" is where I ended up last round. So I am appliqueing a flower in each side end so that it fits the round .. trouble is I suck at applique. I don't want to do a traditional fuse and iron so I am turning the edges prior to applique. BOY what a good idea that is! its taking forever!! Today with any luck I will finish the leaves for the flowers and put those on. Never ever will I look at applique the same say again. I think from here on out I will bow down to anyone who does real applique. It is a whole lot of work!!
Old 03-24-2014, 04:40 AM
dd

I can't wait to see your applique. I'm sure it's great. I did applique on the last round because I have applique in the center block too. Can't post picture because my camera doesn't play well with my computer. Looking forward to the next round.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:41 AM

I am finally ready to work on this month's round. My quilt measures approximately 48.5 x 48.5. I am planning to do jaba's round with the 3 strips. What size does it need to be for the next round? (So I can figure out how wide to make the strips)
Old 03-25-2014, 04:08 AM

Pam, Jan will have to get with you on this. I am horrible at math! great at picking blocks but not so much at math! I hope that you can figure it out asap so you can get working on it. I would say if you are going for a total of 6.5 inches you would probably have some magical figuring things out in the end. JAN HELP!!!

I finished my round and its ok! phew! its very very green not sure if I like it mind you and thinking a bit of white might have been a good plan but it is what it is. I think that the next spot will have a bit of white then go into blues and whites.. a ribbon perhaps? love how that first ribbon was posted .. it was a smooth and simple ribbon but it might make it all play together nicely. One month at a time, now I can go onto working on another project for a week or two
Old 03-25-2014, 05:23 AM

Pam H you have a couple of choices, you can do a 6.5" round now and that would make your quilt 60 1/2" so the next round you have your choice of doing a 6" or a 3" round. Or do a 3 1/2" round this time and your quilt should measure 54 1/2". Then you'll do a 6 1/2" next time. Really depends on how large or small you want your quilt to end up
Old 03-25-2014, 05:55 AM

Thanks so much jaba! I'll have to do some thinking and figure out what to do.
I plan to make this a rectangle at some point. I also want it to be big enough to be functional - maybe queen size. When would be a good time to add the extra row at top and bottom to make it a rectangle? I was thinking near the end. Would that work or should I be doing it soon?
Old 03-25-2014, 06:26 AM

Can you post a pic after you get this round on? The next 1 I'm doing is 6 1/2" on the turquoise and orange, might look good doubling it on the top and bottom. Will check that out today.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
Can you post a pic after you get this round on? The next 1 I'm doing is 6 1/2" on the turquoise and orange, might look good doubling it on the top and bottom. Will check that out today.
Sure, will do!
Old 03-27-2014, 04:10 AM

I think it works just fine maybe a smaller border on the sides and then a much larger version on the top and bottom. I am going to next round do just that. I think its going to be 'smart' when its all done I have finished my round not sure its great but it works and ready to do something super for my top and my bottom. a grand finale sort of thing sounds great but I know it means lots of work. Perhaps a ribbon of some sort..