Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Another example of how NOT to pack a sewing machine for shipping. >

Another example of how NOT to pack a sewing machine for shipping.

Another example of how NOT to pack a sewing machine for shipping.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 PM

FYI, the Goodwill from Johnstown, PA can't pack either. One strip of bubble wrap and shredded paper.

Who was it that needed the bobbin winder spring? <grumble> It came out easily when the whole bobbin winder was cracked into two pieces.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 PM

I guess I've been lucky with all of my vintage machines...I have bought 5 from ebay and 3 from etsy and all of them were packed very well and no damage. But, then I did communicate with the sellers to be sure they knew how to pack them properly.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:38 AM

How sad. She's beautiful. But it looks like she arrived unscathed.

At least yours had SOME packing. The last machine I received had ONE sheet of newspaper wrapped around it. But....it arrived with only a bent spool pin. Go figure. I also ask the Sellers not to be insulted if I make a suggestion as to how to ship a 'cast iron' machine...especially if they never shipped one before. Most were most gracious and didn't know that cast iron was fragile.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
I don't really think it's the fault of the site. Some sellers are clearly better packers than others. I haven't packed a vintage machine but when I ship other stuff I'm know to recycle as much packing stuff as I can manage.

I'm baffled by towels. Seems like that would add an excessive amount of weight onto the shipment. I can understand their use in between the two boxes as a buffer but to do more than a single towel around the machine to prevent scratches. Ahhhh, lost.
it wasn't really a buffer between 2 boxes, it was just a flattened box used to cover up the fact that the walls of the carton were in no way thick enough to hold the weight. I don't know what they were thinking with the towels, but at least they'd been laundered, so now they can be car wash or sewing machine rags. The seller did refund $45 after a bit of haggling and my photos submitted to the resolution center. Also, this machine might have been a challenge to a novice shipper, partly in that it uses 2 small hinges welded to the machine that are wood screwed to the base, so they probably didn't think of removing the wood screws. It will be a bit of a challenge to reglue the base so that it's not too obvious a repair.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by onthebrinkofdisaster View Post
The best packaging ive seen was when i bought a vintage iMac PC they put it in bag. Then placed a three inch thick styrofoam board on the bottom of a box ,placed the bagged computer on top of the foam board then they gilled the box around the computer with that spray can expandable insulation.
I bet that would work with sewing machines too.
I got a knot in my stomach when i saw this pocture,ugh im so sorry that happened to that beautiful machine.
Yes, I think that would be a good way to do it. Just don't forget the bag!!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:34 AM

I bought a machine a couple years ago and had the same experience. The box was damaged and so was the machine. Broken spool pin on the back of the machine, slip on cover had several small pieces in the box, and couldn't get the on/off button to work. Lights came on wehen I pushed the button and the second I took my finger off the button it went off. Contacted the seller who had to contact her shipper who was an agent for UPS. UPS said ther responsibilty was of the shipper even though UPS was the one who banged it around. What a mess!!! Took almost six weeks to get it rectified, but finally got the check for the amount of my estimate to get it fixed. It was over $200.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Banned

not a sewing machine but still.. These are Victorian age Wiss Scissors.... Can you spot the packaging issue?

I love the sticker the Post office put on....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]469007[/ATTACH]

Awesome choice for packing materials.... Looks like she took the shoes out and reused the paper wrapping...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]469008[/ATTACH]

Gosh, how could THIS have happened? (sarcasm)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]469009[/ATTACH]

BTW The scissors are fine and intact.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140326_110441.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	469007   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140326_110653.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	469008   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140326_110725.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	469009  
Old 03-26-2014, 11:08 AM

It's very lucky someone wasn't really hurt:<
Old 03-26-2014, 11:12 AM

ouch that hurts! so so sorry.

hubby packed a sewing machine to go bring home from OH to CA and he packed it pretty darn good ... too good ...it was so heavy and taped so tight the airlines thought it contained a bomb (I'm guessing) they ripped it apart, tore off the bottom, removed the wiring ... it was a mess. After we complained and they said 'not their problem', next time do not pack it let the airlines inspect it and they will pack it .. wonder how good so that the handlers don't throw it around ..
Old 03-26-2014, 01:10 PM
Banned

Yeah, the delivery guy warned my DD just as she was about the grab the box... Boy howdy, THAT would have made me mad.......