Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing embroidery machine? >
  • Sewing embroidery machine?

• Sewing embroidery machine?

Old 03-31-2014, 05:12 AM

I have 3 Janomes and love them. The first one I purchaed new and have never had a problem with it. It is 20 years old. I lucked into 2 others since that one. I have the 10000 and the 11000. If and when we sell our business, I will get in my car, drive 75 miles and but the lastest modle they have. I can't say enough about thses machines. I do lots of piecing, free motion quilting and embroidery, and have never had a problem with any of them.

I have a friend who bought the Bernina 830, and has had trouble with it from day one. I have 2 friends who own Vikings and they have had trouble, lots of trouble, with them. Those are all top of the line machines, and they have problems.

It's a shame you can't go and test them out. You have to be the judge.

Good luck in your search.
    Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 AM

I went with the Brother Duetta mostly cuz I wanted to embroider Disney designs, and have been extremely happy with it. I only wish the Brother Quattro was in my budget, with the biggest hoops and more bells & whistles.
    Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette
    The chap in Keith has a few different models, so you could give him a phone. Also, David Drummond in Edinburgh will collect/deliver machines free of charge for servicing. The only other dealer is Seattle in Berryden - you would only have the choice of the Pfaff Creatives, but you would have dealer backup.

* Just noticed your post above.
    Thank you.
    Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 AM

Had a cancellation for lunch out today so I went for a 'test drive' of the 12000. I'm very proud of my first embroidered piece! The machine is now safely ensconced in the dining room while I read the manual. I'm so chuffed with it and such a boost finding this little business within a fairly easy drive of Aberdeen. Makes a change from having to use dealers in England. Thank you everyone for the advice and recommendations. Apart from not test driving all favoured models I did take heed of recurring problems owners had identified in their machines in the forums and reviews. Since the Janome didn't seem as complex as I feared I decided it was the right machine for me (hopefully these don't turn out to be famous last words!!)
    Old 04-01-2014, 03:00 AM

I have 3 HV machines. Designer I, Designer Diamond & the Sapphire. They are all used for different reasons. The Designer I was my first one & it has become my work horse. I use the Diamond for embroidery only & the Sapphire I take to classes. I have the best dealer in the nation and he keeps my machines in great working order. I have never had any major issue/problems with any of them.

I almost forgot to mention I have an HV long arm quilter. My husband loves it.
    Old 04-01-2014, 03:09 AM
    Power Poster

Although it is an older one, I love my Janome.
    Old 04-01-2014, 03:40 AM

I absolutely love my new 830 Bernina. I absolutely hated my 200e Bernina. The difference - classes and a lot of dealer support and encouragement. I'm a visual learner and needed that personal instruction and not just reading a manual. My Bernina 200 is for sale if you'd like, PM me if your interested.
    Old 04-01-2014, 03:55 AM

I too stuck with HV because that's all I know. Dealer support is huge if you're not familiar with embroidery. In that vein I have some regrets. My dealer classes are only Wednesdays and I work every wednesday. Having said that my DD sews like a dream but I've been a little frustrated with the embroidery which I'm new to. HV was bought out by singer and there is definitely a change in quality and support. On the other hand I took the plunge and divorced viking last year and bought a babylock evolution serger which is AWESOME. I would consider babylock as well if you're near a good dealer. They seem to be a little less expensive and the quality is tops. Have fun shopping.
    Old 04-01-2014, 04:00 AM

There is a new Janome 15000 now - I use the Janome MBX software that I first got with my Janome 10001. It is great software for editing and digitizing - if you go with the Janome which is a great machine negotiate the MBX software with it.
    Old 04-01-2014, 04:29 AM

Do you know anyone who has any of these machines? If so, ask if you can come over and get some info and see a demonstration so you know what your are getting. Call any sewing friends and ask if they know anyone with any of these machines that would be willing to have you come and see them. Maybe that would be helpful.