Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Often Do You Upgrade Your Sewing Machine? >

How Often Do You Upgrade Your Sewing Machine?

How Often Do You Upgrade Your Sewing Machine?

Old 04-01-2014, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I had my last one for about 11 or 12 yrs when I bought my current one. I never would have upgraded but I wanted something with a bigger throat and a built in walking foot. I still have my old machine and have no plans to get rid of it.
This was my reason for getting my Horizon 7700.

My older Pfaff Hobby 402 is a workhorse and I am not afraid to let anyone use it--kids, other adults or as another extra for me--though I usually use it as loaner machine. It sews beautifully. The throat is small, however, and for someone wanting to enjoy the quilting part--something with a larger throat is necessary.

Don't feel pressured into getting something else you feel the need for some reason to "upgrade" or need a feature that your older machine doesn't have.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
I sew pretty much everyday, for hours and hours at a time. I can wear out a relatively inexpensive machine ($200 - $300) within 2-3 years. As much hard use as they get, I just consider them to be disposable.

I bought a $400 machine this time, a Brother PC-420. Hopefully it'll last a little longer.

I do have a Singer 15-91 and a Featherweight, but to be honest, I never really use them. They're just collecting dust. I need fancier stitches and modern features often enough that I need a new-ish machine.
I've been looking at this machine too. (Brother 420) Are you happy with it? I'm planning on taking the plunge next month. *crosses fingers*
Old 04-02-2014, 02:34 AM

My faithful 1979 Kenmore is still my main workhorse, it has outlasted 3 husbands, 5 kids and thousands of projects. And while I have 6 other machines, they keep getting older as I keep getting gifted vintage and antiques to restore! Computers and I do not get along, so I love that I can maintain them all ( with a lot of help and advice from my QB gurus!).
Old 04-02-2014, 03:00 AM

My parents gave me a sewing machine as a graduation gift from high school. It was a "Capital" in a cabinet? After I was married and my daughter started school I got a part time job in a shop that sold Berninas. They made their bread and butter doing custom dressmaking and alterations. I used their machines everyday and of course I had to have one. My first purchase was the first embroidery machine that Bernina sold. I still have it and over the years spent more than $1000 on software for it. Some of it has never been used. I eventually purchased a regular Bernina sewing machine and the rest is history. I presently own a Bernina serger, a sewing machine model Artista 185, a low end Bernina in the 200s that is really portable, weight wise and a Featherweight in mint condition that I purchased at a yard sale for $20. I also own a treadle machine that is used for an end table in my TV room. I don't recall what make it is or if it even works. I just figured that if there was to be a permanent power outage I would still have something. I purchased a second embroidery machine several years ago. It is a Brother but it uses the same format PES as my Bernina. I have pretty well worn out my Bernina embroidery machine. In order to use the software I already had I needed another machine that used the same format. I probably sew at least two or three days a week in one way or another. I make at least 21 Linus quilts each month so that keeps me at the machine on a regular basis.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:35 AM

First machine in 1992, second one in 1995, third in 2013 and the most recent in 2014 but the first three were used and the last was brand new. Wanted more features for quilting was the reason I bought a new one. Never had the other ones in the shop except the embroidery machine got fried in a lightning storm. I don't do the once a year cleaning and just try to make sure I do regular maintenance after each project. I have Vikings so never need to oil anything. Some people just like to trade up constantly like cars. Not me, it takes me a while to get used to a new machine so I'm not getting rid of it. I still have the other three plus my moms Singer.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:40 AM

Ok, you all are making me feel guilty. I just upgraded from Bernina 640 to an 880 with a Koala table and I love it. I wanted to be able to use the bigger hoop sizes for embroidery. At my age this machine should last me the rest of my life. Unless they come out with one that does the grocery shopping, cooking and dishes.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:44 AM

My "newest" machine is a Janome Memory Craft 4000. It's 20 years old. My oldest machine is a Singer 404 bought in 1962. I've obtained a White and a New Home along the way. I'm happy. They serve my purpose. My service people appreciate the quality of the old/er machines and are happy to service them.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:16 AM

I bought my first Kenmore in 1969 when I was staring high school, that machine went to my sister. Then I upgraded to my top of the line Bernina 830 Record that cost a whopping $350 in 1971, she is still a workhorse and used regularly. I bought a Bernina Aurora QE about 5 years ago and love it. Then came along my Tin Lizzie 18LS to join the others. There have been a few additions along the way- 4 Featherweights, 2 treadles and a couple of others. I just bought a Bernina 750QEE as a retirement gift to myself. I plan to keep the Berninas of course and learn embroidery on the 750. I really should pass on some of the Featherweights though.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I had my last one for about 11 or 12 yrs when I bought my current one. I never would have upgraded but I wanted something with a bigger throat and a built in walking foot. I still have my old machine and have no plans to get rid of it.
My first machine was a Coronado, sold in the local Gamble store. I waited a long time for that machine to "die", finally sold it at a garage sale to an Amish couple who planned on turning it into a treadle because it had a motor on the back with the belt attached. I am now a Janome enthusiast and purchased the 8900 for the bigger throat and built in walking foot.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by trueimage View Post
I've been looking at this machine too. (Brother 420) Are you happy with it? I'm planning on taking the plunge next month. *crosses fingers*
I just got one the week before last.
It's a sweeeeeet machine for the price.
It compares nicely to machines you'd expect to find only at a hard-wall dealer.
One other brand/model I was considering - sold only through hard-wall dealers - cost about twice as much.
The second brand/model I considered was more than twice as much.
Neither was superior in any way I could personally determine.

The needle threader is a marvel to behold and use.
Absolutely the kewlest threader i've ever seen and [in my not-so-humble opinion] better than those on my more expensive machines.
I did a little bit of test stippling and was extremely impressed.
It took only one top tension adjustment to eliminate eye-lashing on the back.
It uses a standard Class 15 bobbin, so no need to spend mega-bucks on brand/model-specific bobbins.
I haven't tested it with a Schmetz, but Organ brand needles line up perfectly with the needle threader.

Once I decided that was the make/model I wanted as my travel machine, and started shopping around for one, I found that prices for it varied wildly - as in by more than $200 between highest and lowest price found.

I got mind from amazon for $349 (plus tax); shipped free.

It does not come with an extension table or with a 1/4" foot.
My total cost added up to a bit over $400 once I added the extension table (which is worth every penny.)
I already had a Brother 1/4" foot, so didn't buy another. They are easy to find on the net and not expensive.

One note - in case it might matter to somebody: Brother has discontinued manufacture of this model. I can't imagine why, but they have. I found that out because I had considered buying a used one. It was missing the hard cover that comes with it. I couldn't get a replacement because they aren't making the machine anymore. Soooo ... I got one new-in-box instead. All the warranty conditions remain in place, though, so I'm not worried about it.