Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Pre-cut fabric >

Using Pre-cut fabric

Using Pre-cut fabric

Old 04-03-2014, 05:05 AM

I view pre-cuts as a treat. I like Connecting Threads because as others have stated they just charge you yardage prices; plus they're not pinked. I don't like pinked edges on pre-cuts, especially strips.

I also have a huge weakness for Hoffman Bali Pops. Beverlys.com sells them for $30 and there are 40 different fabrics in each set. If I bought the minimum 1/8th yard cut of 40 different Hoffman batiks I would spend a lot more than $30, so I feel like that's an OK price to pay if I need a variety of batiks for a project. Those are also straight-cut and I've never gotten a bad cut from them yet - I've gone through probably 8 packages of those so far.

And every once in awhile I'll splurge on a Moda layer cake if I really like the fabric line. (Every once in awhile = I did it once and might do it again, lol)
Old 04-03-2014, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I quit buying precuts because there are always a number of them that I don't care for and pull out. Fabric yardage is much cheaper and you get only what you want.
I agree, there are some that I'm not too keen on certain patterns in the collection. I hate that most have repeating patterns, and they are almost always the most boring pattern in the collection! I've only bought precuts twice so far, normally I love picking out my own fabrics and I hate pinked edges with a passion. I got Moda Urban Chiks charm packs, some of those I believe were cut a little off and it's making it so difficult to finish that quilt. I also bought a Moda Simply Color layer cake. I haven't used it yet but I absolutely love that collection so I might buy more precuts of it.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I don't buy precuts because of the price, however they sure would make life easier.
I agree. I have always done the math and they tend to be too pricey for my budget. I did buy a pack of 6.5" squares on eBay in red and black prints and hope to incorporate with my stash and do my first Falling Charm quilt for charity.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 PM

I Too, have alot of precuts almost every size and shape, I just would not get the right fabric grouping if I only purchased yardage. MSQC has terrific daily deals, that where I have purchased most of mine, usually for a killer deal, even with the $5.00 shipping.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:51 AM

I love precuts. I usually stick with charms or jelly rolls because I hate cutting so those give me the minimal cuts versus using yardage or bigger precut bundles. I do but fat quarter bundles or half yard bundles of certain lines that scream must have to me. I also subscribe to a monthly club to get solid half yard bundles. PCF solids only club. I'm still adoring my greens from march
Old 04-04-2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
I love pre-cuts and purchase them often - I love having the complete collection so I never have to worry about picking fabrics - and I always get compliments about how good I am with color (I smile and thank them). I only buy brand name pre-cuts like Moda, Robert Kaufman, Riley Blake....I've never had problems with the pre-cuts being cut wrong- also, I buy them on sale - I don't like to pay retail price - so I check many blogs and websites to find a good deal - many times I get 20-30% or more off the price - plus free shipping and often no sales tax. Its possible to use them and get the great deals - you just have to look for them. You have to buy them when you find a good sale - because the fabrics aren't around forever - the collections change several times a year. So I absolutely recommend them and I will continue to use them.

I also do this. Love the precuts. Especially Jelly Rolls and Fat Quarters.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by jfowles View Post
I Too, have alot of precuts almost every size and shape, I just would not get the right fabric grouping if I only purchased yardage. MSQC has terrific daily deals, that where I have purchased most of mine, usually for a killer deal, even with the $5.00 shipping.

Same here!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:40 AM

I don't use them much, though sometimes I'll pick up MSQC' s DD. I find the variety is usually what attracts me-- I bought their I Spy layer cake a couple of weeks ago--nice to have the wide selection in smaller pieces than FQ or yardage.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I don't use them much, though sometimes I'll pick up MSQC' s DD. I find the variety is usually what attracts me-- I bought their I Spy layer cake a couple of weeks ago--nice to have the wide selection in smaller pieces than FQ or yardage.
I didn't know there was an I Spy line. I'll have to look for it-that's one layer cake or charm pack that I would buy.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:15 PM

If it were not for pre-cuts, I would not be able to quilt, so yes, I do use them. I have a spine disability that prevents my being able to lean over and cut fabric pieces. Have to use a back brace and a walker. So I am thankful for pre-cuts. Yes, the pinked edges are a nuisance, but I find the Moda fabrics have a much smaller pinked edge so I prefer theirs. A couple others are ok too.
My husband passed away in 2012 and my son in 2011. Quilting is good therapy, and I feel that i need to quilt, as it gives me a sense of accomplishment. I love piecing tops...now I need to learn how to machine quilt them.