Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
To My Friends in the Houston Area >

To My Friends in the Houston Area

To My Friends in the Houston Area

Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

I just read my American Patchwork Quilting magazine and noticed a tour for Paducah and also for Houston by CountryHeritageTours.com Check them out and have loads of fun for all of us.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:11 AM

If you can afford it, I HIGHLY recommend http://countryheritagetours.com/ My friend and I took one last year to New England and it was the best tour ever. This way you also get to see a little more of Texas We are hoping they offer one to Europe as we are saving up our money for that.
As for the Houston show - good shoes, large shopping bag, bring an empty water bottle and snack bars to save your money for the vendors. if you are there on SUN - some of the vendors reduce their prices after noon - just ask.
Living in Texas I go every year and even went just 3 weeks after major surgery --- took many rest stops.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:22 PM

Don't forget, hotels book quickly. Sometimes a year in advance.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:48 PM

I live in Houston..and went to the show this past year...loved all of it...the valet parking sign was so small we missed it but wound up parking for $10 a block away...yes by all means wear comfortable shoes..carry a big bag..and lots of $$..there are vendors that have good prices but not very many...and lots of beautiful quilts..but patterns were rather expensive.. You will love the experience...I bought mostly fat quarters for my fall quilt I'm making...got a lot of variety in those...Hope you get to make it this year...
Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM

I've been to Houston twice, stayed at the Embassy Suites both times. It's 2 blocks from the convention center. The Hilton is right across the street from the convention center, but we picked ES because they have a full, cook-to-order breakfast every morning, and in the evenings a hosted happy hour with snacks that we ate for dinner. Who needs food when you are in your Happy Quilt Place, right? We walked a couple of blocks to a deli, brought snacks and drinks to store in our mini-fridge, and we figure what extra we spent on the hotel rooms, we managed to save in car rentals, parking, and food. We did so good with our food budget that we were able to splurge on our last meal in Houston at Mia Bella Trattoria, which is excellent, by the way.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:14 PM

I have a room at Doubletree downtown where I books 2 weeks after getting back last year I have my flight that was booked in Feb got a deal $228 and last year I paid $350. So more for spending this year I have been going for many years and this vacation is just for me!