Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Novice Quilter >

Novice Quilter

Novice Quilter

Old 04-10-2014, 03:40 PM

I have completed a few quilts and am basting two other quilts plus have more UFOs. I have learned so much here and on youtube, through Craftsy, and at LQS classes. I lurked for the longest time!! Mateoh, good luck and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Amboo, I recommend the Sharon Schamber youtube video on basting a quilt. I love doing it her way. Easy on the back.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:47 PM

Oh my yes! I'm definately a beginner! I've made 2 bed quilts, 2 lap quilts and 1 wall hanging. My first quilt I paid to have it quilted. Can't afford that very often so I've tried to do FMQ on my DSM. I must say the results are quite hilarious! I am very bad at that part! I do see some improvement though. It will be quite some time before I can say I do a fair job. LOL Welcome to the board. So many good knowledgeable people here and they are always willling to share with others. Quilters are just the best!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:21 PM

I'm a beginner too having no experience whatsoever of sewing or quilting prior yo April last year. Most people on here will forget more than I will ever have time to learn!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:21 PM

Welcome. We are all beginners when we start a quilt. Problems can arise for each of us it's just that after time you find more ways to fudge as you go.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:43 AM

Welcome to the Board. You aren't alone, many people who chime in now and again identify themselves as "newbies" or beginners. However, every single one of us started out as beginners, so you are in good company . I will say that you will not find a nicer group of people anywhere. If you have any questions about quilting, someone on this Board is bound to have the answer, and, 9 times out of 10, it will very quick to get that answer. A lot of those questions also provides new (or forgotten) information that can be used by people who have been quilting for years. Here, there are no "Quilt Police" telling you that their way is the only way, or that you did it wrong. Just remember that it is YOUR quilt, and it should be fun.
Again, welcome to the Board, and do not hesitate to ask any questions, or show what you have done, or ask for options
Old 04-11-2014, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
if you read through the Introduction forum, you will see that many of them describe themselves as beginners. you'll learn a lot here
I agree with QuiltnNan. I see a lot of post from quilters that are new to quilting. I always advice new quilters to go out and get to know their LQS. Sometimes with problems. it is easier to have someone help you face to face and show you how to resolve your problem. Join a class that interests you and meet others in your neighborhood that also enjoy quilting.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:58 AM

I consider myself a newbie because I started quilting only last year. But I have completed 15 quilts, and going to complete #16 this weekend. So you can call me obsessive, compulsive newbie, passionate quilter :-p
Old 04-11-2014, 08:00 AM

There are lots of beginners. I've been sewing for years, but EVERY single day I learn something new from the people on this site. So, when you look at it, we're all kind of beginners, continuing to learn every day. Another thing great about this board is that everyone is very supportive, friendly and non judgmental. Believe me, I've asked some stupid questions and never been put down because of it. I love it here! Actually, I'd actually get more done if I wasn't here all the time.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:19 AM

I'm fairly new to quilt making - less than 3 years. I do seem to be prolific... my evenings & weekends are typically spent at home making quilts (circumstances support it). I KNOW for a fact I wouldn't have made as many if it hadn't been for this board, the help, the suggestions, the images of others projects. Many many wonderful ideas to be had here.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 AM

I've only been sewing since last fall. I'm a beginner. I haven't even completed a single quilt yet. Don't be afraid to ask questions. People here are friendly and you will usually get several options on how to solve any given problem. You have a very valuable resource here, be sure to use it.
Rodney