Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ on Janome 8900 Please Help >

FMQ on Janome 8900 Please Help

FMQ on Janome 8900 Please Help

Old 04-12-2014, 06:05 PM

Unhappy FMQ on Janome 8900 Please Help

I just brought home a Janome 8900 and am trying to learn how to FMQ. Problems began when I started piecing and was stitching over thick areas; I noticed a skip or two. Then when I began to FMQ, my stitches were skipping, sometimes an inch or more. I looked in my manual and it said that it was either a threading problem or a needle problem. I have rethreaded and rethreaded. I read that there is a purple needle that helps with this problem. What in the world? You pay this kind of money for a machine and it's skipping? Has anyone else had this problem with a good solution? I bought the machine several hours from home so taking it back any time soon is impossible. Please help me know what to do. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:09 PM

What size needle are you using is a sharp point or a ball point? You might need a bigger size, maybe try a size 16 sharp point.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:37 PM

I had an 8900 that skipped stitches. I had it serviced and was told that the things were off and to try useing a Universal needle when doing thicker intersection items. It did help but machine was very touchy really had to change the needle more on this machine than any other I have ever owned. Good luck. I hope you can get it to work for you.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 PM

A large topstitch needle should fix the skipped stitch issue. I use a 14 or sometimes a 16 ...
Old 04-13-2014, 03:27 AM

I just posted almost the same scenario on the MSQC board. Changing to a different size needle isn't helping. I am glad you posted, maybe between the two boards, we will see a solution.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mdaniels View Post
I just posted almost the same scenario on the MSQC board. Changing to a different size needle isn't helping. I am glad you posted, maybe between the two boards, we will see a solution.
Okay, I worked on this late into the night, google and everything else. I ended up lowering the quilting foot as low as I could get it and still maneuver the fabric. My husband read that if it was up too high, the threads would not catch. I also changed out the needle to a 90/14 (it's not the purple one, but he also said that it was a 14). I noticed that the tension wasn't good on the stitches, so I took it off of auto and put it on either 3 or 4. I stitched for awhile with no problem. I'm still not brave enough to do my baby quilt, but I think we're on the way to solving our first problem. She sure is a touchy machine!! Thank you, thank you all for being there for me. This quilting hobby may just be the death of me. I'm not giving up, though!!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:56 AM

Have you gone back to the dealer? Give them a chance. Take a sample of what you are working on, and show them.

What batting are you using, what thread? Those things all make a difference. Have you tried a quilting needle?
Old 04-13-2014, 04:06 AM

You might want to check out the Janome 8900 yahoo group. Lots of helpful info there.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:07 AM
Administrator

I had the same problem when I started using my 8900 for FMQ.
Stitches skipped and [cotton] top thread kept breaking.

A friend of mine tracked down the solution:
Make sure you are using an Organ or Janome brand needle.
(they are actually the same, but cost more when branded Janome.)

I was surprised at the difference that makes on the Horizon models.
Organs work better for piecing on the Horizons, too.
Luckily, Organ brand are relatively inexpensive.

I have stippled successfully on my 8900 using Organ sizes 11 thru 16 - depending on the fabric and batting.
I also found that using 60wt thread in the bobbin eliminates eyelashes on the back.
My tension is usually set to Auto.

Last edited by patricej; 04-13-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:49 AM

I took it off auto tension and fiddled with the tension until it was just right. It help to put the spool of thread on an external thread holder. Be sure you have the same thread on top as the bobbin..some threads work better. A size 14 needle is best. I love my 8900.