Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Out of the frying pan into the fire! >

Out of the frying pan into the fire!

Out of the frying pan into the fire!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I really haven't figured out the color coding yet on the pressure to the feed settings but it seems to sew just fine whatever setting I use.

The color coding on the pressure lets you know what the foot pressure should be depending on what you have the feed dog position set at !

If your feed dogs are all the way UP ( the green line ) then the line on the foot pressure should be in the Green zone

If feed dogs are in the next position ( blue line ) then foot pressure should be in the blue zone

Feed dogs in the pin feed position ( red ) then the foot pressure can be anywhere depending on how thick / slippery your fabric is

Feed dogs all the way down like you would for free motion quilting ( grey / black ) then your foot pressure should be as high up as you need it to be able to move the fabric freely ( this will depend alot on how thick your quilt is ect )
Old 04-23-2014, 09:02 AM

What SlightlyOffQuilter said. The colors on the presser foot pressure gauge match the colors on the feed dog selector.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Thank you SlightlyoffQuilter! The local Brother dealer didn't have clue to what the color coding was for, she didn't know how to use the auto threader either. Her shop lasted about two years and folded. I called the Brother 800 number but kept getting a recording, sent emails that were never answered but this was some years ago. I'm glad Brother customer service has improved.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations and have fun. BrendaK
Old 04-23-2014, 04:11 PM

I'm jumping into the fire with you! My Brother 1500 is on its way, delivery scheduled for this Friday. I ordered it from Ken's Sewing Center...thought I would be waiting for a mid-May delivery. But I'll get to play with it this weekend!

I'm not too worried about figuring it out. I have a simple Brother that is intuitive to use. I think this won't be too difficult. Working on my FMQ has me more concerned than threading it! Thanks everyone that shared your experience about the machine! Every bit of knowledge helps.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:16 PM

Annie,

It is a big deal to get a sewing machine with a bigger harp, no matter what the cost of the sewing machine!

Brother usually has great manuals, so that will make it easier to set up.

A mechanical machine is often easier to set up because it doesn't have a million bells and whistles to figure out. I think the hardest thing for you will be figuring out how to best use all that 'extra" space in the harp!

Have fun with your new toy!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:26 AM

Annie Pearl,
Congrats on the new machine. A mechanical machine is much less crabby than a computerized machine. I only have one computerized machine, all of the others are mechanical and most of the are older than I am. Don't let yourself get nervous, just go for it. If the machine goes really fast, turn the speed down until you get used to it.
Viking used to have their version of your machine, I used to sell new Vikings. I fell in love with that machine, once I learned to slow it down, it was crazy fast. I'm a quilter and did quite a few quilts for my store using the Viking Mega Quilter.
Sharon

Last edited by purplefiend; 04-24-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:08 AM

Congratulations! Enjoy your new partner in quilting.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 AM

I use my 1500 all the time. Easy to use, the manual is sufficient. My biggest problem was adjusting my touch on the foot pedal so I don't suddenly speed up. When I first had it I taped some cardboard onto the foot pedal so I had to push a little harder to get into high speeds. It helped a lot. Now I have "the feel" and don't need it. Definitely my go-to machine rather than my more expensive, more complicated and less reliable Sapphire 870. I have since questioned the value of these fancy dancy computerized machines.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:26 PM

I couldn't take the classes either same reason, but I figured it out with just a little help from the Brother tech support phone line. Pretty easy. Brother user guides are very easy to understand and because they are international, they have lots of pictures for us that are learning disabled. Good luck and I hope you love every minute with your new "partner".