Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What did I bring home and how do I kill it? >

What did I bring home and how do I kill it?

What did I bring home and how do I kill it?

Old 04-26-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by NapaJohn View Post
Set it up on some blocks so that it won't sit in the rain on driveway. Then cover.
Thank you for that idea. I think it's a good one. Done and done!
Old 04-26-2014, 07:27 PM

Hopefully someone can give me more information about this situation. As best I can tell it is an early 15 model. It has a metal guard for the treadle belt. I have the needle plate that appears as though missing. It is attached with hinges to a plate but I am not sure if it is metal or wood and then that in turn is attached to wood that I think lifts the machine. The large bar in the back could be a spring? and then there are tracks front and back but giving it a bit of a pull was of no use.

If the cabinet is a loss I would at least like to remove the machine and have a look in the drawers. The one that would open offered a foot, a small tube type container and a key but I have seen no keyhole.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:21 PM

The machine will secure to the wood using those hinged posts and a wing nut on the bottom of the machine. 2 of them, one for each hinge. I agree, cover the cabinet outside, but bring the machine head inside.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:26 PM

Christy,

To remove the machine from the cabinet I believe that you have to raise it from down in the cabinet first.
To raise it you push the button that I circled in red in this picture. And unless the mechanism is sticky, the machine will fly up. To slow it's ascent place your hand on the machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473157[/ATTACH]
I hope this helps.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I don't know much about it yet as i can barely see it and can't remove it from the cabinet yet. All the drawers and openings are stuck fast except the top drawer. I can't access a way to remove the machine just yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	button.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	473157  
Old 04-26-2014, 09:37 PM

Thank you. I had originally thought that button opened the cabinet door on that side! Hopefully the bug spray kills any creepie crawlies tonight and tomorrow I am determined to remove the machine and get it inside. Thank you for all your advice. I really appreciate it!
Old 04-26-2014, 11:44 PM

That is the same drawing room cabinet that I have. Probably the same machine (Improved Family). How sad to see it in that condition.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:38 AM

Be very careful where you place your hands and fingers when releasing the machine. The spring that holds it is very powerful, I almost got smashed fingers when my husband was helping me get mine loose. When it let go it really let go.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:54 AM

I know of a house that had power post beetles that ate away the sill where the house sits on the block....well the whole house had to be covered and fumigated...so the house was inside a bag of sorts.....I don't think I would bring it in............
Old 04-27-2014, 06:20 AM

That is a cool machine, but the bug problem scares me. Now I am getting worried about all the stuff I have brought into the house. Keep us posted. Poor machine!
Old 04-27-2014, 06:55 AM

I'm worried too. The guy I bought it from mentioned them after were were loading it in the truck. He acted like it wasn't big deal and said you treat with a boron product. At that point I had forward momentum and all and just figured I would stop at the hardware store on the way. That has proven difficult though since most hardware stores haven't had anything to help. I am reading the web and it's hard to sort out good information from bad. I will be making some calls tomorrow. Hopefully, I get some good help.