Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Fifty two more derelicts to put back to work in one way or another >

Fifty two more derelicts to put back to work in one way or another

Fifty two more derelicts to put back to work in one way or another

Old 04-28-2014, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473508[/ATTACH]
Miriam, what brand is the one in the lower left corner? Is that your "no name" machine? Had a lady show me her Grandmother in Law's "Singer" tonight, and I'd swear it's the same machine... hers had the decal worn off it too, but hers has the treadle still and I asked her to photograph the irons in case there's something on them.

If you look at the machine from different angles, do the remnants of the name show up at all?
Old 04-29-2014, 02:25 AM
Power Poster

No name is on the left front. I can't find any markings at all. On the right are two New Home machines one has been painted black in the front but has New Home decals on the back. Then the Regal is in the left rear. The Regal is made by National - a National motor is the only clue. The machine has been lightly used. The No Name seems a lot like the Regal. Neither one has a bobbin shuttle but from what I can tell they should be the same. The two New Home machines have bobbin shuttles. I'm guessing No Name might be made by National. The slide plate from the Regal goes on but isn't quite a good fit. I haven't pulled off any attachments yet. I did put a few drops of oil on each machine and they will all be able to sew with a little TLC and some shuttles. Both New Home machines have been motorized with brand new looking motors. I took the brand new clip on lights off all of them. The No Name has the stitch length on the column and the New Home has the stitch length on the base. Under the machine is very obvious differences. Those machines are very interesting - I also have 3 other top tension machines here but I haven't lined them up to compare yet. I think they are different from these.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:10 AM

Miriam I think you may be right about them being Nationals.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:14 AM

I think that "no name" is a National - it's got the "de-tensioner" on the top that is typical of National - notice how the lower piece on the New Home is different than the lower piece on the No Name - and it looks like the Regal is the same as the No Name.

I think this one is very similar to your "no name" - also look at the spoke pattern of the flywheel to see if it matches.

http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage..._display_media

is the Regal a 3/4 size machine? National made one like this in full size and 3/4 size.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:23 AM

will be looking forward to seeing the other top tension machines. For reference, I've never seen a New Home with a front inspection plate, and I've looked at a lot of pictures.

Also, If you take off the front slide and look at the casting and if there is a serial number there - you'll see some identifying differences between New Home and National - because National made some with the same shape as is typical of New Home.

I've got several of National made machines - and the slide plates all fit (allowing for slight variations) and nothing else fits - they are either noticeably too big or too small - not just like a really tight or a bit loose of a fit. The early Eldredges (pre National) have the round needle plate in a slightly different spot - so the plate fits side to side, but does not fit around the circle.

I have found some top clamp machines that take the same feet - but so far I've not found any Mfg that take the same slide plate - that part is different in width or needle plate configuration (except for the ones that deliberately copied Singer - )

Ok- I admit that I'm fascinated by the top clamp, top tension machines.

Last edited by Macybaby; 04-29-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Then I got out the 4 Singer long bobbin machines and a Franklin long bobbin. One Singer has a bobbin shuttle - I oiled the machines and they do move - the one on it's back is pretty pathetic so I'm thinking I will use the parts from it to make one or two I already had gone over work. I'm kind of excited about that. The little black line 128 with the 'lightening bolt' moves very nice - I think I'll leave the lightning bolt and call that one Lightening or Bolt. The Franklin moves sweetly but has no shuttle. I wonder if a Singer shuttle will fit it. The other two Singers now move freely and I think will be made to sew.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473509[/ATTACH]
Miriam,

If your Franklin looks like a Singer 27 / 127 then yes a Singer shuttle and bobbins will fit. That Franklin is very close to being a clone.

I'd like to know what you are doing with the pics. The forum rules are 10 pics to a post. I use the forum system to upload my pics and have on several occasions put 10 pics in several posts in a row. I've checked the sizes and type of your pics and they are good. I'm wondering what's up on your end.

Joe
Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 AM

The Franklin Scarab decals is a clone of the 27 and the wasp shuttle will work. Remember I showed you mine when I was here. It was in the corner under a dust cover on the left hand side of the Tv
Old 04-29-2014, 11:07 AM

Here’s an example of an earlier National VB-TT (Vindex B - Top Tension) badged as a “White House”. It doesn’t have the rounded rim around the left side of the arm like your No-name does, but the same type of decals, although a different design.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine359_01.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	473627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine359_03.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	473628  
Old 04-30-2014, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
The Franklin Scarab decals is a clone of the 27 and the wasp shuttle will work. Remember I showed you mine when I was here. It was in the corner under a dust cover on the left hand side of the Tv
I cleaned up 3 long bobbin shuttles yesterday - All 3 were different sizes. The small one fit the Franklin. That machine will need a slide cover and then I think it can be made to work! It is a very nice machine and yes it seems to be a clone. I like the looks of it.

Last edited by miriam; 04-30-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:29 AM

CD, I like the blocks you have that machine sitting on.