Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Was I wrong ~ or ~ was she >
  • Was I wrong ~ or ~ was she

• Was I wrong ~ or ~ was she

Old 05-02-2014, 04:25 AM

I've done it both ways depending on how much fabric I have or want to buy.
    Old 05-02-2014, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    next time you need to purchase binding fabric- first find how long of a binding you need- (your current project of 41x61=)
    41+41+61+61= 204", I generally add about 10" for joining ends & mitering corners- so now you are at 214" needed
    divide that total by 40" (figuring cutting off the salvages- that's an average length) you need 5 1/2 strips (figure 6)
    6 strips x your 2 1/2" width comes to 15" (so, a 1/2 yard would have been enough)
    any other size- figure it the same way- the two measurements x 2 (for all 4 sides to bind) plus excess for joins, corners- figure the number of strips needed-based on the usable width of the fabric- then multiply the number of strips by the width of the strips to see how many inches of fabric you need.
    I have found most Joanne's employees know very little about the products the store sells- are seldom sewer's or crafters- most of them at our local are college students who needed a 'retail' job. any retail would work.

See how those word problems in our long ago math classes now finally can be realized and utilized!
    Old 05-02-2014, 04:32 AM

If you have a cell phone or iPod, be sure to download this free app. I use it all the time to figure what I need for bindings and borders and other things. I've shown it to people at JoAnns and other shops, too. Just love this easy little app!
    http://www.robertkaufman.com/quilting-calculators/
    Old 05-02-2014, 04:36 AM

All depends on how much fabric you want left over, and if you don't mind seams in your binding. I don't mind seams in my binding. I tend to do the addition before I leave home and write down how much I need.
    Old 05-02-2014, 04:37 AM

Shop with a quilting buddie and consult her. That way she knows you and what you want to accomplish.
    Old 05-02-2014, 05:01 AM

I like to cut borders LOF and I will often just slice up the rest of the fabric into 2-1/2 strips to be used later for binding, narrow borders, or cut down smaller for sashing, etc. I love my super long binding pieces!

I also save trimmings from quilt backings and cut those into long strips of 2-1/2 wide, for the same purpose. I always have all kinds of binding fabric pre-cut to choose from, much of it in very long strips. I do a lot of scrappy quilts so it's fine with me if the binding fabric is not anywhere else in the quilt.
    Old 05-02-2014, 05:02 AM

NEVER RELY ON JOANN FABRIC CUTTERS. I COULD WRITE A BOOK. I don't buy much quilting fabric from them. However, I was purchasing a panel for the center of a baby quilt, and the Joann's employee started to cut straight across without opening up the panel to cut on the panel line. I told her to stop! She said she had to cut at the one yard mark, and that was that. I said if you continue, I will not purchase the panel....the fabric was wound on the bolt crooked and cutting it straight would take off about 8 inches inside the panel, totally ruining it for any use. She argued with me until I demanded to speak to the manager. She said the manager trained her and told her to cut exactly on the yard mark and not a smidgeon more. I was shocked at the no common sense of this young lady when I showed her what would happen if she cut it her way....."that's the way I was told to cut". I finally got the manager to the table and the employee learned how to cut a panel. I left wondering how someone could not comprehend the logic. The employee was a college student!!?? An OMG moment.
    Old 05-02-2014, 05:26 AM

I almost always cut mine the long way, using the leftover fabric from the backing because of fewer seams. I don't mind leftover fabric because I love scrappy quilts, but actually either way will work
    Old 05-02-2014, 05:31 AM
    Power Poster

I have only met one person at the JA near me that knows anything about sewing anything. The customers usually tell them what to do.
    Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    In 2 states and 5 cities I've never meet a JA's 'cutter' who was a quilter.
    If you had told this story on an LQS I'd have been much more surprised.
    Old 05-02-2014, 05:36 AM
    Power Poster

I worked for House of Fabrics during the big sales back in the 90s. I did it because I LOVED the 25% employee discount. They gave me NO training as to how to calculate anything for sewing so I just tried my best to hum a few bars and fake it. Women would come up asking me how much she needed for a wedding veil or how much for a sleeveless blouse. I would suggest they find a specific pattern. These stores don't give you any training at least in my day. They might have videos now a day.

You really only needed 15" so a half a yard is the right amount to get. I use to rip the binding along with the length of my border (2.5 yards) for my avatar quilt or any other Queen size quilt. Never had a problem. When you are working for someone on a custom quilt, you want to do it RIGHT and as quickly as possible.