Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Payment for Long Arm Quilting >

Payment for Long Arm Quilting

Payment for Long Arm Quilting

Old 05-02-2014, 05:53 AM

I think there are great ideas here. I would definitely provide the thread so she wouldn't have any expense. Don't worry about her feeling used-- she offered and you don't intend to ask her to quilt every quilt you make, just one once in awhile.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:39 AM

LOL paperprincess. I got belly laugh out of that entry. I have a husband who loves to eat, and I hate to cook when I am in quilting mode.....

Lots of good advice here from every corner of the world. I am like most LA quilters too, in that I have one of everything quilting, and two or three of some things..... I have lots of friends (and sisters) who love my Gammill and are being allowed to learn how to quilt their own on it (with lots of supervision). I simply do not have the time to do all the quilting that needs to be done in my ever-widening circle of quilters. They come over with their "stuff" and we spend the day enjoying each other's company (one day is about what it takes to load and quilt a quilt, no matter the size); and I am not talking prize winning quilts here--I am speaking of quilts that will be put on someone's bed and enjoyed for years and years to come.

My suggestion might be, print off this posting and take it with you when you next visit with her, and ask her what catches her fancy. Good luck, and keep us posted on what you do. We read our forum just about every day when we are having our morning coffee.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I also quilt for free for friends & relatives. They often bring me a small gift, but if they would clean (even dust!) while I quilt, that would be stupendous!!! Or do a couple loads of laundry. Or cook a whole meal, even with my groceries. I hate to cook, and for some reason my husband wants to eat EVERY DAY.
I introduced my husband to bagged salad and rotisserie chicken. He throws in some cherry tomatoes and shredded carrots, and now he eats better than I do.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
Now if I could only find someone who was willing to trade housecleaning for quilting!!!!
Amen to that!
Old 05-02-2014, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

How fortunate that your sister's MIL has offered to quilt your quilts for free. I have often used the "barter system" with things of this nature, you would each get a service with no money changing hands. Or, you might get a gift card to her favorite restaurant so she can go out for the evening and not have to cook; something like that. How awesome to have someone offer to quilt your quilts for free.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I think going over if she is ok with it would be great! Also you might ask your sister if there are things that she has issues doing - although 59 is really pretty young. Maybe you could help out around the house, cook a meal or something she doesn't like or can never find the time (meaning she really hates doing it) to do. You never know you might be able to work something out to the benefit of both of you! I have a friend who is way more tech savie than I am and I sometimes trade her quilting for her help. It sometimes is somthing I could do but just won't because I hate it, like she is scanning my patterns in so that I can have them digital and make room for something else. I have another friend who has been helping me wrap and organize my fabric. Now if I could only find someone who was willing to trade housecleaning for quilting!!!!
Man o man do I wish we were closer to each other! Try posting your request with a local bartering group? I believe yahoo groups has bartering groups...
Old 05-02-2014, 10:45 AM

I like all of these ideas! I think she would probably appreciate any of them. See if you can get her to tell you her needs or wants and choose from those. That way it wouldn't feel like "payment" for either of you, just appreciation of her kindness.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:03 PM

I love the idea of Thread...really good quality thread or maybe a few templates for the longarm that she does not have, they are nice but pricey and even more for someone on a budget. As a quilter, I know that I have tons of fabric...and usually buy only with a theme in mind. Thread...we can never have enough or the right color. Maybe buy the thread of what you would like for your quilt and buy the cone and that way she doesn't feel guilty taking it..and then you may want to mail her a thank you card perhaps with a nice gift card. If she is retired, she is most likely on a tight budget.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:42 PM

You can always ask her what her favorite kind of thread to use on the longarm is, and buy some for her. Ask her what colors she would like.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:27 AM
Power Poster

I think those are all wonderful ideas. It is great of you to realize that it would be sew nice of you to want to help in exchange for her work, I don't know if anyone else suggested this, but why don't you quietly ask her husband or one or her children if there is something that she would really like to have done