Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chair for machine sewing >

Chair for machine sewing

Chair for machine sewing

Old 05-02-2014, 05:48 AM

I can second the saddle chair recommendation. I currently have an armless office chair and while it's okay, I find that I still get back pain occasionally if I sit too long. I have 2 friends with saddle chairs, and one of them takes hers with her on retreats. I got to try it out on the last retreat. She's an early bird and I'm a night owl, so I was able to test it for a few hours after she went to bed. I found it very comfortable!
Old 05-02-2014, 06:37 AM

I have a Swopper available at better office stores and online. It is like a balance ball and you almost have to have good posture. I love it. Pricey but worth it.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:00 AM

My favorite is the bunge (yes bunge) at The Container store. They are pricey but I love it and a couple of my friends have gotten them and love them also. If you buy there - they will put it together for you if you ask. One year Target also had some at a much lower price, I bought one for my hubby and he says he doesn't see any difference. However I have never seen them again - maybe in back to school sales? I think that was when I got his about 2 years ago.

We are both in our chairs most of the day - I work from home and use it at the computer 8 hrs a day M-F
Old 05-02-2014, 08:54 AM

I'm also a backless chair person - I never lean back anyway. With that being said, assuming you wouldn't buy anything that wasn't comfortable for you, I think height adjustment is the most important thing. I like my arms and hands to be in an ergonomic position to avoid shoulder and wrist strain.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:58 AM

Ooooooooooooooooo. I want to try on of those balance balls.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:10 AM

I need a new chair really bad. I was planning on shopping for one today. I have been looking for a while and can't find what I want.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:02 AM

I love my new Arrow Sewing Chair. The back of the chair hits you in the perfect spot! In addition to the chair I also recently bought a Gypsy Sit Upon cushion at a local quilt show which you can sit or or put behind your back. It is awesome.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:07 AM

I found mine at the curb with a free sign on it after someone's garage sale. It was an ordinary chair like you use at a dining table. It turned out to be just right for me. The challenge is not so much what chairs other people use but which is right for you. Trial and error and a lot of sitting in them. The other factor is the position of your machine so just going to the store and sitting in chairs won't give you the whole picture. The chair might feel good on its own but when you factor in how you sit at the machine it is all wrong. Do some measurements before you go to a store and then try to put the chair up to a table closely approximating the height of where you have your machine. You'll probably feel like an idiot sitting there with your arms in sewing position to an imaginary machine but your back will love you later for doing it.
I have my sewing room purposely set up so I have to get up and walk to another part of the room to press, cut etc. This minimizes sitting on one place to long which is part of the problem for sore backs, necks, shoulders. Plus if you get up and down enough it counts as exercise!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:44 AM

My chair also came from Office Depot. No arms, swivels and is on rollers which means I also had to purchase a chair mat to protect the carpet. It would be great if it had a little more back support for the lower back, but a small cushion placed where needed helps. Try out several chairs, check for height adjustment, lumbar support etc. Good luck in finding that perfect chair!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:49 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by quiltinghere View Post
I just use a bar stool without a back but with a chair pad on it. I don't sit for hours at it...so I don't have any problems with it.

How about http://www.staples.com/Alera-Interva...duct_ALEIN4616

The type of chair that has lower back support.

Good luck
Nan
Nan, that is the exact chair that I have been looking for. Our local Staples had a similar one, but it was a floor model and there was a stain on the seat. They wouldn't discount it, so I walked. But now I will order! Thanks for the link!