Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Playing with layout - opinions please >

Playing with layout - opinions please

Playing with layout - opinions please

Old 05-05-2014, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
I can see that I'm really bucking a trend here. the thought process I'm using is that it give the user something to search for or discover while cuddled in the quilt. My daughter certainly likes hers. I shall await the verdict from the person I am making the quilt for. I'm told she and the actual recipient are rather eclectic, "free-thinkers" and she had already given me written permission to use my artistic vision. And she has seen the one I made my daughter.
Regardless of any of our opinions, the quilt should always be for the person who receives it. What I perceive as the best could be boring to someone else. Please let us know what your daughter decides. What could really be neat would be to do a central design with radiating arms with the tee's in them. Just wanted to let you I can really think up some fun ways to do anything, although sometimes, not very doable. FYI....I can't do scrappy or Yellow Brick Road or any of those type quilts. For me, they just don't flow, and yet there are lots of them made so I am in a minority with my opinion.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
I can see that I'm really bucking a trend here. the thought process I'm using is that it give the user something to search for or discover while cuddled in the quilt. My daughter certainly likes hers. I shall await the verdict from the person I am making the quilt for. I'm told she and the actual recipient are rather eclectic, "free-thinkers" and she had already given me written permission to use my artistic vision. And she has seen the one I made my daughter.
Then completely go with your ideas on direction. I think an adult cuddle quilt is perfect. Just an idea since the recepiant is eclectic have you thought about cutting some of the shirts smaller (closer to the designs) and making it more patch work style. That's how I just did one and my DD loves it. Most of the shirts are right side up with a few of them with just words turned sideways. If you are happy with your sizes and shapes I say the last layout is most appealing.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:22 PM

Well I have heard via my daughter that the recipient of this quilt would like it to have sashing. So be it.
She thinks it may become a wall hanging. It's going to work about about 60" x 72" so we shall see. Still figure on doing something similar to my favourite layout so picture it with sashing ...
Old 05-05-2014, 03:33 PM

I have to agree with shirts all going same direction, but if the recipient likes it wonky, make it wonky!
Old 05-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

I don't like all the different directions, either. The whole point of a T shirt quilt is to read the shirts. I'd have to put them all going in the same way, so the quilt has a definite top and bottom. Size of blocks, sashings, prints, all these are optional. But the direction of the shirt writing is non-negotiable, IMO... (And it's just that... an opinion!)
Old 05-05-2014, 04:15 PM

I prefer to have all the shirt to be in the same direction with the designs readable from the bottom of the bed. When I have different sizes of t-shirt I measure the larges design and an inch or two to the measurements top and bottom and then I make all my blocks that size. Sometimes I will add two small one with sashing in between and even on the sides to make a block that is the same as the larger ones.
I cut filler pieces out of t-shirt fabric I iron stabilizer on some of the backs of the shirts to extends the blocks to the size I need.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
I prefer to have all the shirt to be in the same direction with the designs readable from the bottom of the bed. When I have different sizes of t-shirt I measure the larges design and an inch or two to the measurements top and bottom and then I make all my blocks that size. Sometimes I will add two small one with sashing in between and even on the sides to make a block that is the same as the larger ones.
I cut filler pieces out of t-shirt fabric I iron stabilizer on some of the backs of the shirts to extends the blocks to the size I need.
My plan exactly but the blocks might be a few different sizes.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:46 PM

If it is a snuggle quilt to be used I lean to omni directional. If hung then obviously one direction
Old 05-05-2014, 07:35 PM

I just finished one for a friend. I didn't use sashing, and blocks were different sizes and put together like a puzzle, did have to add some fillers to make it a rectangle. I did have it one directional. There are so many ways to make these- so have fun with it.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:19 PM

I prefer all going the same direction or if not that why not divide into quarters with each shirt going the same direction but the sections going different directions