Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Classes at Craftsy? >

Classes at Craftsy?

Classes at Craftsy?

Old 05-06-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by sewbelle52 View Post
Help! I love the craftsy classes too but my computer has trouble loading them so it's a stop-start process that drives me nuts! What's wrong? What can I do to fix it?
I am not very tech-savy but it sounds to me like either you have an older computer with a smaller/slow processor chip or don't have a high speed internet connection, and your computer has to "buffer" the video feed in batches--it loads a little then plays it back. I remember having this problem years ago when trying to watch videos on my computer when we had phone line internet connections. You might check with your internet provider in your area and see what is available.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:31 AM

Do any of you watch with a DSL connection for your computer? Do you get stops and starts with it or is it smooth "sailing?"
Old 05-06-2014, 06:02 AM

There is so much free stuff out there that I figure I'll wait until I've gotten all I can from no-cost classes before I put out money for one. Here's an example of a YouTube session I really learned from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33N5X1GqzFw
Once you get there you can see lots more links to other quilty stuff. I could spend all day on these and on QB and links. I think if there was a specific topic I thought I needed I would consider buying a class, but mostly I'd rather buy a yard of good fabric with the same money.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:04 AM

The classes run smoother for me if I click on their little HD (high def?) symbol and turn off the HD.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:29 AM

I've taken about every quilting class--just bought one the other day I haven't watched yet. There are also a few free classes. I have learned a lot watching all these wonderful instructors. I do try to buy them when they are on sale.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:35 AM

I had this problem after not having it for the beginning of Craftsy and was finally able to watch them pretty good with Google Chrome.
Originally Posted by sewbelle52 View Post
Help! I love the craftsy classes too but my computer has trouble loading them so it's a stop-start process that drives me nuts! What's wrong? What can I do to fix it?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Banned

I like the format of Craftsy classes.... but what I *really* enjoy is TheQuiltShow.com with Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson. I enjoy the humor as well as the variety of guests. I bought the year's subscription as a Christmas present to myself last year. It's the best $30something dollars I've spent on quilting educational stuff.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:07 AM

I also have taken quite a few classes. I learned the most from the FMQ classes and now have the confidence doing all my machine quilting on the regular sewing machine and that saves a ton of money. I love the work the longarmers do but that money I can use elsewhere and I can honestly say I made this quilt (even the quilting of it) all by myself - what a satisfying feeling. I also wait for the 50% off classes.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

I use Google Chrome and have average speed wireless. I do have a booster for the router to reach all areas of the house. The videos play without stopping or crashing. I can also watch them on my tv through Roku. This works great in my sewing room.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:14 AM

Lots and lots and lots of classes. Have loved them all. Very informative. Learn something every time. I do wait for sales.