Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Playing with layout - opinions please >
  • Playing with layout - opinions please

• Playing with layout - opinions please

Old 05-07-2014, 05:01 AM

Default t shirt quilt

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana
    I much prefer a directional quilt than all the tee's going every which way. To me, and probably only me, showing them going in all directions shows no order. It makes me anxious just looking at it. OMG....I know I am getting old now! I like to be able to read all the tee's at one time, not be tilting my head back & forth.

I haven't made a tee shirt quilt yet, but the ones I like are the ones that have different size tee's with sashings that spotlight each block. Pick your daughter's favorite color as the background. Sash the tee's with a color that contrasts really good or many colors. I kept this picture of one that I just loved. It has order and different sizes of tees and variable spaces in the background, the better to put quilting in. I wish I could give credit to whoever designed & made this quilt, but I wasn't smart enough to keep that info.
    Why not add a border around all the 12" squares to bring them up to 14.5"? Then you will have a neutral color between all the squares. The eye needs a place to rest.
    Old 05-07-2014, 06:08 AM

IMHO, I think they would look better all going in the same direction. I think turned all different ways makes you eyes jump around too much.
    Old 05-07-2014, 07:56 AM

Not sure if you like this option, but it's how I did my grandson Ayden's t-shirt quilt. There are instructions for it in the archives under tutorials. One of the best parts of doing a project like this is the special thoughts of the person you are creating it for! Good luck...it will be a treasure for sure!
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ayden's tshirt quilt (640x480).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	474782  
    Old 05-07-2014, 11:41 AM

I have made many T-shirt quilts. I have used the backs of the tees as fabric to frame out small designs to fit the largeat size of tee design. I also prefer designs to all go in one direction, but have see some where it is multidirection. These have also used smaller designs as sashing. I think I would ask owner of tees if possible. I know the younger recipients have loved all the ideas. You just never know!! Whatever you end up with, it will be cherished. Trust me.
    Old 05-07-2014, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by HuskerQuilter
    Not sure if you like this option, but it's how I did my grandson Ayden's t-shirt quilt. There are instructions for it in the archives under tutorials. One of the best parts of doing a project like this is the special thoughts of the person you are creating it for! Good luck...it will be a treasure for sure!
    HuskerQuilter - one of the best looking t-shirt quilts I have seen. I really like it!!
    Old 05-07-2014, 03:40 PM

I like the last (offset) option the best. One suggestion...check your fusible interfacing on the backs of the shirts...make sure the glue completely melted/fused...I just had a customer quilt...looked ok...but every block had the fusible barely secured...had to remove from the frame and repress every block!

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ
    I'm working on a T-shirt quilt for the friend of my oldest DD - and she's paying me to do it!
    All but two blocks will finish at 12 x 12 but those two will be 14 1/2" square. I will be filling in with bits of the bright blue, pink and tie-dyed shirts and possibly the gold and green as well.
    My DH's sister & I came up with these options. She really doesn't like things to be off-center but I prefer option 3.
    What do you think?
    Old 05-08-2014, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by HuskerQuilter
    Truly AWESOME!
    Old 05-08-2014, 01:26 AM

The May issue of the Online Quilt Magazine has a picture of what I envisioned for this quilt. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to link it to this thread.
    Old 05-08-2014, 02:48 AM

#4 looks very good
    Old 05-08-2014, 02:50 AM

I like #4 with the reds spread out more.