Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
African-American Quilts >

African-American Quilts

African-American Quilts

Old 05-06-2014, 11:42 PM

Anna Williams is one African American (AA) quilter whose scrap quilts have influenced many a quilter. I adore her work and wished I coulda had an opportunity to meet her. She passed away a couple of years ago. Of course Gee's Bends but today their quilts, to me, would be considered "modern" or "improv" quilts with all of the negative space, free style layouts in them. And to think these women have been quilting for generations.

There are several African quilters on the web that use African fabric. I come from a long history of AA family quilters. A lot of the quilts made way back when by AA quilters were more likely scrap quilts using whatever fabrics were available to them.

I personally like to use a lot of African inspired and other ethnic fabrics in my quilts. I have purchased African and ethnic quilt fabrics from all over the globe. I just recently bought some Australian Aboriginal fabrics. Very ornate, colorful and expressive. But I think I enjoy these type of fabrics more not because I am African American but because they are more my aesthetic, Expressive. I love the rich patterns and colors of these fabrics. I designed clothes long before I became a quilter.

But I think at the heart of it all, we are all just quilters and our quilts express our visions as artists. There is definitely sites you can google to give you a glimpse and some history of AA quilters. I do plan to make a trip to Gee's Bend soon to hopefully meet some of those women. It should be very inspirational for me.

Here is a reference link to research also.

Last edited by Havplenty; 05-06-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:53 PM

Havplenty thank you for posting about Gee's Bend. I remembered reading about them and could not remember the name of the area.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:03 AM

Other AA quilters to research are Faith Ringgold, Clementine Hunter, Julius Bremer and Winnie McQueen.

Last edited by Havplenty; 05-07-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:18 AM

I'm not sure what denotes AA quilts, but you can check out the work of this gentleman quilter: http://www.michaelcummings.com/
Old 05-07-2014, 05:22 AM

The idea the quilts helped escaping slaves is a wonderful dream but not true. It is often used in novels but quilt experts and researcher have found this to be an "urban myth." Slaves did make quilts from scraps and old clothing but these were for their own use. Keep investigating! AA quilts and quilt themes are fascinating and beautiful stretch into new techniques, colors and styles of patterns. Enjoy your adventure and share your new knowledge with us along the way.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:41 AM

Wow...I left for a couple of days and came back to all of these responses...thanks everyone! I'll definitely look into all of the sites and quilters mentioned.

~Cindy
Old 05-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

I saw the Gee's Bend exhibit in Boston some years ago. They were very primitive and made from whatever fabric was available. It was sure humbling. They did not need quilt shop quality fabric, rotary cutter, mats, ruler, pattern, some didn't even have a machine. The quilts were stunning in design. All made by African Americans. They are still in in their community and making quilts.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:12 PM

That's what i was thinking - the Gee's Bend quilts.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I've recently been researching Dimensional quilts and came across the, "Pine Cone Quilt," an African-American design. Well, that got me off on a tangent on AA quilts. Does anyone collect them, make them, just admire them? What are some of the distinctive characteristics of an AA quilt?

~ Cindy
The FABRIC! Fabric from Africa is amazing, fascinating and fun! Since color is the star, as well as the story or message being told in the quilt, absolute precision is forgotten, as are having patterns....as in Gee's Bend quilts. IMHO it is all about having fun!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:29 AM
Power Poster

I spent hours looking at most of these links, and really enjoyed learning more of the African American Culture. I seen beautiful fabrics. I read some wonderful stories. Thank you all for this thread. I have always had a fondness of the African Art. I use to have a African Art Tea Set, and had an African Art Piece that was a carving in black that was brought back to me from Nigeria.