Got any Tool Tips?

Old 05-06-2014, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
If it got warm, either the cord was not heavy enough gauge, or the receptacle connectior wasn't tight enough. Also the longer the ext cable, the greater the resistance, and the greater voltage drop across it.
That's why I decided to go up 2 gauges and reroute my cord to "not in the ceiling" but it means I have a dangler to deal with
Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 PM

so then, problem solved? If not, I believe you mention drop ceilings. Couldn't you drop a box from SJ 12/2 cable (with gound) from the ceiling and plug into it?
Old 05-06-2014, 07:55 PM

I possibly could run an outlet up there, I think that circuit is fairly full though (at least 7 light fixtures, doorbell and who knows how many outlets) which is why I'm pulling from another one. The thing is that with the extension cord route, there's sometimes an excess of cord that I'm trying to figure out how to tame.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I possibly could run an outlet up there, I think that circuit is fairly full though (at least 7 light fixtures, doorbell and who knows how many outlets) which is why I'm pulling from another one. The thing is that with the extension cord route, there's sometimes an excess of cord that I'm trying to figure out how to tame.
but the simultaneous draw is probably not all that much. I have an old house built in 1937, everthing was on about 4 circuits originally,... they didn't have much stuff in those days!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:06 AM

I smash the end of a Q-tip with pliers to make it flat so it can get into narrower spaces for cleaning.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
but the simultaneous draw is probably not all that much. I have an old house built in 1937, everthing was on about 4 circuits originally,... they didn't have much stuff in those days!
Probably not. 4 of the lights are on any time I'm down there, 2 35w halogens in each fixture. Sometimes all of them. I will test this weekend to see what all is on that circuit. If it looks "OK", I will wire in an outlet. I guess I'm just reluctant because every time I deal with electrical in that room, it takes way longer than it should because the yahoo who originally did the wiring did some really weird things that I correct as I go along.

Of course, an outlet at ceiling height means that I need a step stool every time I want to plug something in.... hmmm. This may take some more thought.

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I smash the end of a Q-tip with pliers to make it flat so it can get into narrower spaces for cleaning.
I like that! I often will twirl or pull some of the fluff out a little to make it smaller, but flatter would help more in some of those situations!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post

I sometimes remove the cotton from a Q-Tip and replace it with a bit of Superfine steel wool to clean nooks and crannies
Old 05-09-2014, 07:18 AM

I was having trouble with a very stubborn screw. I read that if you put a rubberband over the screw and then use a screw driver, you won't strip the screw head. You know, it worked and I was able to get the stubborn screw loosened.

Gail
Old 05-09-2014, 07:43 AM

OLD SEW AND SEW Are you saying that I lose power if I use an extension cord? I'm completely electricity empty in the head. LOL Sorry to butt in, but I've been enjoying reading all of these threads.

Last edited by barny; 05-09-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltFaerie View Post
I was having trouble with a very stubborn screw. I read that if you put a rubberband over the screw and then use a screw driver, you won't strip the screw head. You know, it worked and I was able to get the stubborn screw loosened.

Gail
Hi Gail! This is good information. So to clarify, you put the elastic over the head of the screw and put the tip of the screwdriver into the elastic? This would have been like a brocolli type elastic? I'm just trying to picture it.

I usually put a drop of oil on the screw and leave it for a few minutes. Then give the screw a bit of a tap with the screwdriver. It often busts the old dried oil and sludge loose. Then pushing as I turn the screwdriver CCW, it usually comes loose but I want to try this elastic method.

Originally Posted by barny View Post
OLD SEW AND SEW Are you saying that I lose power if I use an extension cord? I'm completely electricity empty in the head. LOL Sorry to butt in, but I've been enjoying reading all of these threads.
Yes! (I'm not OSnS... but...) there's avoltage drop that comes with the length of the cord. It's why certain devices say not to use with an extension cord, etc. Here's some info on it:
http://electrical.about.com/od/wirin...ncordchart.htm

For the record, I opted for a 25ft 12ga cord for my 1000W iron. It's overkill yes, but I would rather than than a fire.