Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Details of making a 1/4 " seam????? >

Details of making a 1/4 " seam?????

Details of making a 1/4 " seam?????

Old 05-13-2014, 05:18 AM

I think for me it's all about consistency! Whatever I'm doing and however accurate it is I want it to be that way through the whole project. I try for the 1/4 and have several methods to achieve it but I'm not going to stress out over a little bit off one way or the other. I know for some this would drive you crazy but I'm all about relaxation and fun and my quilts will never be in a show.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
I think for me it's all about consistency! Whatever I'm doing and however accurate it is I want it to be that way through the whole project. I try for the 1/4 and have several methods to achieve it but I'm not going to stress out over a little bit off one way or the other. I know for some this would drive you crazy but I'm all about relaxation and fun and my quilts will never be in a show.
My feelings exactly.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

I take a lined index card with 1/4 inch lines on it to check/verify my seam width.

One way is to line up the edge of the presser with a line and see where the needle comes down and measure/check that distance.

Another way is to line up the needle with a line and see where the edge of the presser foot is in relation to the next 1/4 inch line.

It seems easier to me to figure out where that 1/4 inch is in relation to the edge of my presser foot than to rely on anything else.

I will pencil/chalk a dot on a turning point if I will be making a corner.

As others have already mentioned - for most of us, the objective is to get the unit/block/item to end up being the size (more or less, depending) that we intend it to be - and seam width is just one of several factors involved in achieving that result.

Last edited by bearisgray; 05-13-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
Harriet Hargrave refers to this as YUM - Your Unique Measurement - the key being that whatever your measurement comes out to be - that you keep it consistent throughout the piecing process. The other key point to consider is that if you need to measure units during the construction process to see if you need to adjust cutting for other units - such as the bigger patches in a Double Irish Chain - if your first block - with the grid and lots of seams is not measuring perfectly - you may need to cut that center portion on the second block a little larger or smaller so that your end result for the second block fits perfectly with the first blocks.

Cheers, K
Old 05-13-2014, 08:32 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought the Prep-Tool by GuideLines 4 Quilting to get a PERFECT scant 1/4" seam. It is inexpensive and you can reuse it forever. You can also buy the Seam Guides to go along with the Prep-Tool. The Prep-Tool is like a plastic ruler that you align your needle to. Then you place the Seam Guide along the outer edge (or whatever you use for a guide) and you have a perfect SCANT 1/4" seam. I've been using this for about 3 years and love it. I buy a couple of packages of the seam guides and layer them two deep. I never lose points anymore and it is a perfect scant 1/4" seam every time. I don't know how to put the site up here, but if you google it, it'll pop right up. Give it a try. It has saved me. I tried every trick before I found this and nothing compares.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:16 PM

Lots of good advice here. This is a you-tube link for several videos that you might want to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...%2F4+inch+seam
Old 05-14-2014, 04:59 AM

Thanks Jean, what a wealth of information!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
I have decided I am going to conquer the 1/4" seam and have some questions. Do I measure from the left side, or right edge of stitching, then measure to the left side or right side of the line on the ruler? I bought a 1/4" foot, and to me it makes an 1/8" seam, I can't figure out what I am doing wrong?
I saw a hint once that has worked for me. A filing card, the lines are 1/4 inch apart. I keep several right at my machine, slip one under, put the needle down on the 1/4 inch line and then masking tape at the outer edge.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:35 AM

I also use the Perkins Perfect Piecing Seam Guide but I also have the red Quilter's Gauge by Dritz that works the same way. One I take with me to sewing group and the other I leave at home.