Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • do you sell pot holders that you make? >
  • do you sell pot holders that you make?

• do you sell pot holders that you make?

Old 05-14-2014, 06:05 AM

Thank you for your replies.... I can't imagine that mine are anything "special". It is very nice fabric and most will be pieced. I am practicing my FMQ so I have gotten my stencils out and so the quilting is different... Christmas tree, holly and ivy, basket weave... still working so I am sure I will be trying some different patterns. Sounds like its finding the right crowd that will make the difference on how much they will pay. If I am only going to get $3 each then I will just give them as Christmas gifts. I suppose I can always try for the higher price and if they don't see then give them away as gifts
    Old 05-14-2014, 06:21 AM

To answer you other question, I always buy and gift pot holders in pairs.

I also have many years experience working in commercial kitchens/bakeries. I prefer pot holders with thick cotton terry on one side. It can also be used for all the batting. Function matters more to me.

You do not need to use special batting, just no poly batting.
    Old 05-14-2014, 06:30 AM

Thank you Tothill. I have the insul brite, but I don't know if I will buy again. I washed my first batch of potholders and the batting is still crackling.. I am a little disappointed by that noise.
    Old 05-14-2014, 06:36 AM

Gift your items. Craft things never sell for the time and materials involved.
    Old 05-14-2014, 06:58 AM

My sister makes potholders and other small items, and she always carries a few with her. If someone does something she thinks is especially nice (a sales person who is extra helpful, etc.), she thanks them with a potholder. Many sales people look forward to having her in their stores <LOL>
    Old 05-14-2014, 09:27 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by mckwilter
    My sister makes potholders and other small items, and she always carries a few with her. If someone does something she thinks is especially nice (a sales person who is extra helpful, etc.), she thanks them with a potholder. Many sales people look forward to having her in their stores <lol>
    My grandmother did the same thing! But she had small crochet items to give away to people that were nice and helpful to her. I remember her giving the gas station attendant a crochet Christmas ornament once a month. If he kept them or his wife kept them they had a very nice collection over the years he was there. She always told me the more you give the more you receive and you will never have to worry about how your ends will meet, they always will.

</lol>
    Old 05-14-2014, 10:18 AM

We grew up thinking "what goes around, comes around", or "Karma will bite you in the a$$ every time." She is much better than I am about it, but I send her my scraps and she sends me potholders, which she knows I give away.

My latest thing is spool pin doilies. I was at a quilting retreat a few weeks ago and found that the bobbin winder on my machine wasn't working. The lady across from me immediately offered to wind bobbins for me. So I gave her a spool pin doily as a thank you. They are much prettier than those red felt pads and can be made as big as you like. This is the smallest one I make.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]475529[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]475530[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 04 01 Spool Pin Doily.jpg
Views:	1068
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	475529   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 04 01 Spool Pin Doily 2.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	475530  
    Old 05-14-2014, 10:53 AM

mckwilter very clever on the spool pin doilies. i like that very much. cute idea. thank you for sharing...
    Old 05-14-2014, 10:59 AM

What a neat idea to have something to hand out to someone who's been especially nice or helpful! There were a couple gals at the lab recently who went above and beyond to help me through a "not normal" situation. They were so nice, I wanted to give them something as a thanks but didn't even have much cash with me.
    Old 05-15-2014, 04:24 AM

For Charity like a Church Yard/Craft Sale $2 to $3. Since your Scrap fabrics cost nothing and all you had to buy was the Insulbright and the cotton batting. For Sale to Sell $3.00 each. or 2 for $5.00 any higher and it would have to be really Nicer- Folks want to be able to use them and toss them in the Washer/dryer ready to use again...

If you had to use new Cotton Fabric - then you would figure out how many you get out of a Yard of Fabric...the IB and Batting to figure Costs...+ thread and if you do 2 in 1 hour you still wouldn't want to charge more than $5.00 each...? People wouldn't buy.... You could make a package deal- 2 - 8"potholders and a matching Apron and Trimmed dish or Hand towel. for a price... Depending on how fast you sew you could charge $30+ a set.. advertise them as Bridal Shower Gifts.. ?