Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
BOOM 13 - Sign-ups Closed >

BOOM 13 - Sign-ups Closed

BOOM 13 - Sign-ups Closed

Old 05-15-2014, 11:32 AM

I got a book 1000 any size quilt blocks. There's a CD and you can print out the pattern in the size you want to make the block. It's great for beginners.

On another note my Walmart is having a $1 a yard sale on fabric. Clearing out the old to bring in the new. I spent all the money I had Sunday . . . but I'm getting paid tomorrow :-)
Old 05-15-2014, 11:58 AM

I am new to this kind of swap. I sent an email to Janice. I will probably have questions once we start. First is when do we mail in our fat eights? Do they all have to be the same fabric if you are in a large group?

Thanks,
Old 05-15-2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
So I went back and looked at pictures from past booms I think I am intimidated! I saw some really really great stuff where do you guys get your block ideas? Do you use patterns for them? Books? Magazines? On line? Please give me some hints and secrets on your beautiful work.

Also in reading the directions it says I should use removable labels on my baggies is there a particular label you use? Or way you do it that works for you?

Thanks for the hints
I use quilters cache online. Very good directions and they have a variety of blocks ranging from easy to more difficult. You can do it.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:32 PM

as far as labels goes I use return address labels and just write my board name on them.

Janice, Mosher92(Lori) and Marcialee are in for boom 13, we want to do the fast one. Thanks
Old 05-15-2014, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions I’ve been pursuing quilters cache and getting some thoughts don't want to make any decisions till a get my fabrics to play with and let it tell me what it needs

I was just curious where you guys got your ideas and patterns from see if there are other avenues to check out I think I'll see what my library has too
Old 05-15-2014, 03:40 PM

Lisa, Janice will send out the details once the sign ups are closed. Its really very easy to do, sending them ALL in one priority envelope to Janice then she sends everyone their F8s...Billi...I had NO idea what a block swap was when I did my first one...I think it was #6...Now Im on #13 and I LOVE it...Its not just getting blocks from others but being able to match fabric and make a block you think the other person would love...Challenging at lst but Ive never, ever had anyone complain to me about my blocks, although at lst I cant imagine why they didn't just throw the ones I made away.. LOL...Its an excellent way to learn about new blocks and to increase your skill levels! And besides that its FUN FUN FUN...and you make a ton of new friends!! You know you wanna.....
Old 05-15-2014, 04:04 PM

I will be away much of June and part of July, so I just don't think the timing is right for this boom. I will get in on the next one!
Old 05-15-2014, 04:50 PM

Bluelady, we'll miss you but enjoy your summer.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
Bluelady, we'll miss you but enjoy your summer.
Same sentiments from this swapper too!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 PM

So I went back and looked at pictures from past booms I think I am intimidated! I saw some really really great stuff where do you guys get your block ideas? Do you use patterns for them? Books? Magazines? On line? Please give me some hints and secrets on your beautiful work.
This is how I do it: I surf pinterest like it's an occupation. If I see a block I like, I pin it and generally print a picture of the block and put it in my 4" 3-ring binder. This is a wild generalization (but I'll say it anyway): most blocks can be broken down into a 3x3 or 4x4 grid. If you can teach yourself how to look at the block and break it into the grid, you will find that it is very, very easy to determine measurements based on the grid. For 3x3, each piece needs to be 4.5" unfinished to make a 12.5" block. For a 4x4, each piece needs to be 3.5" unfinished.

If all else fails, get a sheaf of grid paper at Target ($3.99) and draw it out on a grid. Or ask someone who can help walk you through it a few times till you've got it - I'm happy to help if you need it!

Also in reading the directions it says I should use removable labels on my baggies is there a particular label you use? Or way you do it that works for you?

Thanks for the hints
When I send my fabric out, I usually have a note in there and so I put an address label on the note- I use the free address labels that the charity places send every few months to get donations. I don't like putting the stickers on the fabric because I personally have gotten burned a few times not seeing the sticker, ironing it on, and having a gross gooey sticky mess to deal with on an already not-large chunk of fabric.

When I finish sewing the blocks, I include a special business card that I got through one of the millions of VistaPrint promotions. On the front it has my name, my board name, contact info, etc., and on the back I have lines to write who the block is for, the date I sewed it, and the name of the block itself. For $10, you can get 250 cards (maybe more, it's been a while now). I make sure that the handwritten info is facing outward when I package everything up.

Last edited by TheMamaHauser; 05-15-2014 at 07:10 PM.