Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Question from the Ultimate Sewing Novice >

Another Question from the Ultimate Sewing Novice

Another Question from the Ultimate Sewing Novice

Old 05-15-2014, 05:12 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

How frustrating. I used to have a machine that did that so I watched it wind closely and every time it looked like it wasn't winding properly like others have suggested I used my finger to guide the thread to where it was winding unevenly. It also helps if you don't wind too fast.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:40 AM

My machine bobbins have a little notch near the center and they have to fit over a pin on the bobbin winder in order to wind properly. You might check to see if that is the problem.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by annie123 View Post
If one of the guides looks like a little flat circle be sure you are going in the right direction with the thread. Mine has a little arrow for which direction the thread should go and it is the opposite of what would make sense to me. that might be enough to make a difference.
I'll bet this is your problem. The thread needs to go around this little flat circle in the correct way. It seems to be different than you would think. Mine has to go around clockwise, and the threads CROSS OVER EACH OTHER on their way to the bobbin. I have a little arrow printed on the machine to show me which way to place the thread around this guide.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:07 AM

Such a mystery! My friend told me yesterday to try winding the thread twice around the last guide, but that only sort of helped the problem.

It is not uplifting to hear from you, the one with the same machine, that you have the same problem. Sorry to hear that!

I'll keep trying!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the tutorial. It helped me on a couple things I've been doing wrong.
Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I don't have a Singer so not sure if this little youtube is helpful or not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmqJJ7H7M8I
Old 05-16-2014, 06:11 PM

I find with my machine, I have to give the thread a little tug so it is caught in the thingy or the bobbin will not wind properly. Also if anything is under the thread path, it won't on the bobbin right either.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Sometimes the post gets knocked and needs to be straightened. Sometimes you just have to help it wind evenly with your finger.
Sometimes you just have to help it wind evenly with your finger. Wholeheartedly agree.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

My DHM will do that if the bobbin is not pushed down all the way onto the winding spool. It clicks when it is in the right position.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:15 PM

my Janome spindle has a spring on the side & the bobbin has a notch that needs to be lined up with that spring. Making sure it is down all the way is also a good idea. Keep trying!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:59 AM

Double check how you are supposed to thread it when doing the bobbin. On mine I used to thread them thru the needle because when I did them thru the bobbin guide it didn't what yours is doing. I would get so frustrated. Then I took a class about a yr after I had my machine and the best thing that I learned in the class that I wasn't putting it thru the one guide that you use to thread your machine first and then around the bobbin guide. Now they all wind great rather thru the needle or when I'm sewing or just winding bobbings, no more lopsided bobbins. I also slow down the winding too.