2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-15-2014, 05:00 AM

OK: I notice the recent guilty parties have been strangely silent, I for one shocked myself into silence. I would like to propose a new rule. If you fall off the wagon you must disclose all the details in full, with pictures when possible. This rule would be in effect retroactively, so all you ladies that slipped by with a "no comment" must fess up. All in favor say, "AYE".
Old 05-15-2014, 06:25 AM

If I posted a picture of the red batik I bought for a birthday present to myself in March, then you'd all rush to Bear Creek Fabrics and buy yourself some so I'd be an enabler.

What's the date? The 15th? May is half over and no purchases.The church youth group is having a sale this week to raise money for this summer's mission trip. I shall go to one of my sewing rooms and grab some fabric for them - I hate to see it sold for 50 cents a piece, but is it better for it to never be used? I don't think so.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
OK: I notice the recent guilty parties have been strangely silent, I for one shocked myself into silence. I would like to propose a new rule. If you fall off the wagon you must disclose all the details in full, with pictures when possible. This rule would be in effect retroactively, so all you ladies that slipped by with a "no comment" must fess up. All in favor say, "AYE".

I abstain!
Old 05-15-2014, 09:53 AM

I know it is only the 15th and the month is only 1/2 over; however, I have been a good girl so far. I have two quilts I need to buy backing fabric for; however, I am too busy at my main job to back them so figure why buy the fabric. Going quilting at my LQS tomorrow night and taking plenty of projects with me. Let's see if I can resist the temptation.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

Aye, but I have been good. However, I have to go buy some FQs for the birthday swap on another forum. I swear I don't have the right colors in my stash. Really I don't. ....why is my nose growing?
Old 05-16-2014, 04:25 AM

Well, hey! I've been quiet, you know, but let's not get . Now, I did buy fabric...enough for two sets of placemats. No, there wasn't anything in the stash that would have worked. (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.) One set went to my brother and SIL for their new house gift and one set to my mom for Mother's Day, and one side of hers was from stash. I also bought the Bosall thingies to go inside the mats and they worked very well. Then I signed up for a sweatshirt into a jacket class, so had to buy the sweatshirt and fabric for that. It's done already. That was so much fun, I signed up for a purse class...now that's another story. Didn't get out of that one very cheaply. Could have bought a finished Vera Bradley bag for what I've got in the supplies...class starts next week. So I'm buying, but also getting things done. A quilt that's been lying about for a year is going to the LA quilter today! So, yep I fell off that ole wagon. If ya all let me back on, I'll be better. Maybe. LOL
Old 05-16-2014, 05:11 AM

Coopah: Wish I could say that everything I buy goes immediately into a finished project. Always wanted to try that sweatshirt conversion, love to see a picture of yours. Thanks for all the...., I mean now that you have listed all your transgressions welcome back on the wagon.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:14 AM

Ladies, as a newcomer to the board, I have to say that I'm not "on the wagon" officially.
However, I have to admit I laughed myself silly at some of the posts. I've been doing the "no fabric purchases" on my own for a couple of years now. In 2013, and 2012, I was very good. Of course, part of that had to do with the fact that we were moving, and I also started back to college (at 50+ years old!!) Now however, several people at work have learned of my quilting addiction and are buying quilts and/or ordering quilts. So, in those cases, I don't really count it as fabric purchases, because in reality, someone else is paying for it, right?
Another reason I've broken my own "no buy" rule this year is the fact that my daughter is expecting our first grandbaby. So OF COURSE this little fellow will need all NEW fabrics for his "special" quilts... then I'm still using stash to make a couple of "drag around all over the place" quilts for him. He's not even here yet, and he's already got two quilts.
BUT, I plan to join your "moratorium" next year.
Good job for those of you that have managed to stay "on the wagon"... and for those of you who've "fallen off"... well, keep trying each month.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:23 AM

coopah, IMO, you haven't fallen off the wagon as long as you didn't add to your stash. To me, fabric used within a reasonable time frame doesn't count - it's the pretty red batik that went into a drawer that makes me teeter on the edge. The same goes for the special baby fabrics. The last two baby quilts I made for a GGS and a GGD I was able to only purchase the feature fabric and find coordinates in my stash.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

Report from the area-wide garage sales: I did really well. I bought one 3.5 yard piece of heavy twill, almost a canvas, to make some tote bags. $1. My sister shopped my stash & took about 3 yards, and we also cut out enough pieces to make 25 Beads of Courage Bags, which used up about 15 or so yards. Now just need to stitch these up, but they go really quickly. If you are interested in doing some charity sewing but don't have the time to make a quilt, this is a great option:
http://www.beadsofcourage.org/pages/quilters.htm